Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer 2011 Two Weeks in West Cork or ?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Ireland in late June and early July for two weeks. We we attracted to County Cork and have considered spending the entire two weeks there. But, I have begun to feel like one week would work better and the second week should be spent in other parts of the country. We will be driving a rental car and would like to head north and west if we limit our time in County Cork to one week. Thanks for your thoughts !
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM

2 weeks seems like a long time to spend in such as relatively small place - but I spent 2 weeks on Maui last year and in no way did that bother me!. Given that Cork is right next to County Kerry, I guess I would try to venture furhter a field, even perhaps going a little further north to Connemara. Also, assumeing that you are coming from either Dublin or Shannon, you could make a loop from either of those places and include County Cork in that loop. Where are you flying in to? If you plan to return to Ireland, you could focus this trip on the SW of the country.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

LittleA, We are planning on flying in to Shannon and we had thought that we could have some extended day trips to County Kerry as the days are long. I would like stay on the West side and would love to visit Connemara.We have tentatively booked a cottage near Bantry for the two weeks but that can be changed to one at this point in time. Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Shannon makes a good beginning/end point for a loop around Cork and Kerry. We prefer to go to a place and stay for 2-4 nights and then move on, making our daytrips from those places. You could make your homebases places like Dingle, Kenmare and Kinsale with daytrips from those. Alternatively, you could go north and make your homebases places like Galway and Westport. Do you play golf or fish?
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Earlier this year I spent three weeks based mostly in Dingle, and enjoyed spending time exploring the countys Kerry and Cork. While in West Cork, please try to get to Clonakilty for a night of music at one of the greatest small music venues - De Barra's.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM

In June of 2011 we plan to fly into Shannon and head southeast to begin a loop: one night in Cahir, 3 nights in Bantry, one night in Kenmare, one in Tarbert and 2 in Bunratty. Obviously leaving from Shannon.

I think I could find enough to keep me busy in west Cork for a long time, especially with day trips to Kerry. Bantry is a good central location.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Shannon to Cork

IMO, don't miss the Dingle Peninsula. We have just returned from this area and really enjoyed www.greenmount-house.com We spent time in Westport (too far north for your itinerary) then Dingle, then Kenmare.

The Dingle peninsula was one of the highlights of our trip. Kenmare was also outstanding, and www.shelburnelodge.com in Kenmare was another wonderful experience.

We were there for 2 weeks and had planned to get to Cork and the Bera peninsula but ran out of time.

If you would like to read our recent trip report with photos, click on our name above.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM

We spent two weeks in '09 in a rental just outside of Millstreet, County Cork and one week, in the same house in July of '10, but we go every year (and have, since 1999).

If you want to see the NW and Cork/Kerry, one week in ech place DOES make sense and seems to be a viable plan.

A THIRD option, though, might be to plan on 4-5 days in each area, with the mid-time utilized for INTERIM stops. We did this in June of '08. We spent the first week in and around Cork, then one night in Ennis, two nights just outside of Galway (in Carraroe)-- from which we did a daytrip to the Aran Island of Innis Mor and the other touring Connemara -- and then four nights in Westport.

By 'Shaving' a couple of nights from each weeklySef-Catering, you can gain back a few days to liesurely travel BETWEEN your two locations and also 'Pick Up' a site or two that would otherwise be a bit of a stretch from only two, fixed locations.

A good example, in your case, would be Dingle -- It's a bit far from Bantry for a daytrip, but would make an ideal 'Interim Stop', enroute to Galway.

Now, most Self-Catering IS priced for a full week, but some owners will offer shorter terms (even in June) -- and if NOT,the cost savings generally off-set the shorter stay. For example, the typical B&B charge, per couplde runs around 70 Euro per night, or 490 per week, so generally speaking, it is sometimes 'Cost Effective' to go ahead and pay for 7 nights at the Self-Catering' -- even if you only stay there for 5 ...

FUZZY math, I know, but it helps ME to justify my Wanderlust ...

Bob
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,Bob. I like your thinking. Is Dingle just such a slow trip that it wouldn't work well from Bantry because it isn't that far as the crow flies?

What about the drive around Dingle compared to the ring of Kerry? Do both or just one?

Did you get to Clifden and Connemara?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM

According to http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/ a round trip from Bantry to Dingle (including the Slea Head Drive (the 'Dingle Loop' )and back is approx 240 miles and it will take almost 7 hours for DRIVE time. You would have to add in time to visit various sites and for meals and other food/fuel and rest breaks ...

That Drive Estimate assumes that you are an experienced, IRISH driver that is familiar with the roads and NOT interested in (or distracted by) the miriad of scenic wonders along the way --

Most experienced Erinophiles suggest that a REASONAL guestimate for travel time is to divide total miles to be driven by 35 (as in, Miles Per Hour).

I believe (PARTICULARLY for the N71)that you would be hard-pressed to AVERAGE even 30 MPH -- so the DRIVE time for that 240 miles is probably much more like 8 hours or more -- EXCLUDING stops.

Could you 'DO' this trip during the Summer (when you have daylight from 5 AM until almost 11 PM?

Yes, you COULD. But it would probably take you 12-14 hours. Not MY idea of a vacation -- BUT,

I HAVE done stuff like that ...

Slea Head is more compact than the Ring of Kerry (ROK), but it is DENSELY packed with scenic vistas, ruins and places of interest. I prefer driving Slea Head over the FULL ROK. For me, weighing in time spent, the very BEST of the ROK is the drive from Kenmare to Kilorglin -- the very route you would likely take to/from Dingle from Bantry.

I've spent some time in much of Connemara, but oddly enough I haven't ever been to Clifden. Too much to see, too much to do ---

And, NEVER enough time to do it all ...

Bob
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Look for my trip report Slow Travel in Ireland or some such title. We spent a week, based just outside of Bantry, in West Cork this past May and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess it all boils down to if you are the type of person who feels the need to see a little bit of all Ireland has to offer or if you prefer having the luxury to thoroughly explore the place you are.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

We have adjusted our scheduled stay near Bantry to one week and will try to bookend a 3 day exploration of Connemara/Clifden/Westport on the front side and 3 days in/around Dingle on the backside.

Am wondering, assuming that we fly into Shannon, where a first night might be spent? I will be learning the left side of the road and car but I think (I hope) I could drive an hour or two. Thoughts and thanks to all for your great suggextions.