Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland -- 10 or 12 days, divided 3 ways?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to return to Ireland and see the country in a more leisurely way. Last time I was there I was moving from place to place daily. I'm not a fan of constant packing and unpacking, so thought I would try to plan a trip in which I could stay in a few places and make day trips to see the important sights -- Dingle Peninsula, the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, Rock of Cashel, Glendalough, Kinsale, plus as many other castles and cute villages as possible. I've been to Dublin and don't need to include it on this trip, unless it makes the most convenient flight destination.

Does anyone have any suggestions for three "bases of operation"? Thanks so much.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM

You didn't mention your point of arrival or departure, so I would suggest Galway as a base for exploring Connemara, maybe some of Mayo, Aran Islands, and take in the Burren and Cliffs of Moher as you travel further south.
I would head southeast next, stopping to visit Clonmacnoise, Rock of Cashel and Glendalogh and follow the east coast down to Wexford or Waterford. I would spend a night or two there, then head west and visit Cobh, Kinsale, Cork, Blarney castle and stay outside of Killarney from where you can visit Dingle and the Ring of Kerry.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, harvmatic...that looks good. Looks like with this itinerary, I could fly in and out of Shannon. I'm open to more suggestions!!
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

In reviewing this on a map, however, it looks like the day driving from Galway to Wexford, stopping at Clonmacnoise, Cashel and Glendalough, might be a bit of a long slog. But I'm definitely getting a good idea of what's where!!
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 02:59 PM

Depending on how long you will be there, I would first decide whether to fly in and out of Shannon, or in to Shannon and out of Dublin (or vice versa).

If you omit Dublin, I would not go as far east as Glendalough and would definitely leave out Waterford and Wexford.

We are going in March for our 10th trip and are trying to figure out the best route for us, in and out of Shannon. I am thinking that we will spend some time in West Cork (my DH loves Cork, and I love the English Market in Cork, but otherwise could skip the city), then make our way back to Shannon along the coast, with some time in Kenmare (since we prefer it to Killarney). It's a good base for ROK (which we will skip) and the Beara Penninsula.

Although we have been often, we haven't spent much time around the Burren, so may end up there for a couple of nights, sort of close to the airport. We won't get to Galway this time as we spent some time there in 2012, but it makes a great base for Connemara or the Aran Islands, if you haven't been there yet.

Hope this helps a little.