Summer 2008 in Folegandros

Nov 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Summer 2008 in Folegandros

We have been to Santorini (nice view, too crowded), Milos (great), Naxos (nice), Sifnos (my favorite), Mykonos (too much)

Now we have a 3 year old so we are thinking about Folegandros, 3 weeks, do you agree on the island choice?

What is the best hotel in Folegandros( Anemomilos? ) , where to stay in a nice hotel near to The Piraeus ? ( I cannot do cheap & crapy downtown Athenes hotel anymore )
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Anemomilos has very spectacular views and the Patelis family is very nice.

If you donīt like cheap and crapy hotels, the Piraeus Theoxenia Hotel isnīt.
G
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:01 AM

With a small child I think you might enjoy Antiparos more. The beaches are very safe and calm and easy to reach. The island is small but there are plenty of shops and restaurants. The local people are very friendly and love children.
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

The Piraeus THeoxenia looks great! thanks
I am going to check Antiparos
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I visited Folegandros last May. Chora, where most people stay, has a series of leafy squares with tavernas and restaurants. Folegandros really is beautiful, but the views can't be compared with those of Santorini, IMO.

The main disadvantage is that Chora is located in the center of the island, and going to the beach involves a bus ride or a very long walk. So if your 3 year old enjoys being near the beach, you may be disappointed.

I also feel that you may be bored staying there for three weeks. There aren't many shops on Folegandros, and few other things to do that I could see. Many of the people I met there were keen hikers.

Brotherleelove is correct about Antiparos. That's my favorite island, so I have to admit to a little bias. You have a choice of three or four gently sloping beaches within an easy walk from Antiparos Town, and many more reachable by car. The main street is pedestrian only, and little children, both Greek and tourist, play while their parents sit having a drink at a nearby table.

If you get bored on Antiparos it's only a 30 min boat ride to Parikia on Paros.

Here's a good website to help you decide: http://www.islandstrolling.com/