Suggestions Welcomed..please

Nov 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions Welcomed..please

Hi,
I am taking my 2 children-son who will turn 16 and daughter (14) to Dublin, Edinburgh and London on the 15th of November. It will just be the three of us.
I am set with things to do in Dublin-but would love some advice about the other 2 locations.
The kids are typical teens-daughter Harry Potter fanatic so wants to see anything involving that-also very social/music/hot European guys (which we will ignore-lol). Son is a bit more reserved-loves history, video games and sports.
This is their first trip. We are staying at the Carlton in Edinburgh 2 full days-3nights there..and the Travel Inn, County Hall (3.5 days there) in London..
Are they fine with just a regular ski type jacket as far as warmth-they are used to cold weather..
What about the night tours-jack the ripper etc..appropriate?
I read the posts about the train/tube tickets but I am just not sure I understand the best pass to buy. We will be coming on the Gatwick express to Victoria Station and plan to grab a cab to the hotel.
For those who have stayed at the Travel Inn-do they have movies etc that kids can watch one night if I meet a friend from work at a nearby pub?
Thank you for your help!
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Difficult to recommend the best tube pass without knowing your itinerary. Most likely your best bet is the daily Family Travelcards, available for kids through 15 and up to 2 adults (i.e., you and your son) traveling with each child, but IIRC they don't go on sale until 9:30 AM on weekdays so this might impede your day. Another possibility would be a book of carnet tickets, which are good only in Zone 1 but that's where your hotel and most attractions are so that's probably all you'd need.

Regarding Harry Potter stuff, it depends on whether she's interested in sites used in the film or in sticking to thebook. For instance, the reptile house at the London Zoo was used for the movie, but purists/fanatics don't believe that this was the zoo that the Dursleys went to in the book. Likewise, at King's Cross, there's really no barrier between Platforms 9 and 10, which are in a modern annex, so they were played by Platforms 4 and 5 in the movie.
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Degas

Take a double-decker bus orientation tour, Tower of London, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminister Abbey, National Gallery, British Museum, Horse Guards Parade, Covent Garden, cruise on the Thames, Trafalgar Square, London Walks and go to the theatre.

You can rest when you get home!

Nov 8th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Hey Buffy,

Your kids are just the right age to enjoy the UK and Eire. I'd avoid the murder & mayhem walking tours tho - there's way too much to see in those 3 cites to focus on murder-as-entertainment tours IMO.

Here are some good resources - check 'em with your teens to see what tickles their fancy:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/entert...900?source=TiL

http://www.timeout.com/london/

HTH and let us know what you're planning
xo
: )
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:12 AM
ira

Hi buffy,

Regarding movies at the Travel Inn: you might want to contact the hotel directly.
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions..2 more questions..
1. Weather..for teens-ski jacket warm enough (Used to colder weather) and for Mom-Pea coat and umbrella?
2. Bush visit-more hype or reality as far as the disruption to the city..
Thanks
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Ski jackets should be fine for this time of year unless there's a real freeze predicted.

Unless things have changed in the last year, the TI County Hall will not have in-room movies. The place is clean, comfortable and very well located but its room rate reflect a lack of amenities. There's a TV but even that may not be much entertainment for 14/16 year olds if they're anticipating 20 channels with broad appeal. Perhaps you could send the kids to the movies and meet your friend at a pub near the cinema.

Unless you've got a ton of luggage or money is unimportant, why take a cab from Victoria to the hotel? It's a pretty easy tube ride (two stations with one change) to Waterloo. The TI is a brief walk from station.

Regarding Bush and planned demonstrations, someone on that tempestuous other thread was very astute in saying that disruptions due to whatever are part of big city life. It's a vast city so you'll find a way around any burps. Could be worse...there could be a tube or a train strike!

Have a great trip. Your daughter will love the shopping opportunities in London and Edinburgh!

Nov 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply..one more question-I was going to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria..so I should take the tube from there? ok I am nervous..how?
Funny thing is I traveled all over by myself to Belfast, spain, dublin, london in august-no problem..now w/ kids I feel more nervous..
Thanks
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM

The tube is a short trip - but it does involve a change. If it were me and I wanted to wow my kids with being totally on top of things - - I wouldn't schlepp our bags from the Gatwick express down the very crowded stairs (no escalator) to the tube. I would confidently lead the brood out to the taxi stand and take a cab for the trip to County Hall. They will LOVE the London Taxis and it will relieve you os some nervousness (not to mention exhaustion after a transatlantic flight)
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Oops - I guess I should clarify - once you are down in Victoria tube station there are escalators - but not to get from the main train concourse down to the tube station. That is where the crowded stairs are . . . . .

And folks go up and down both sides of the stairs so it is usually a real jostle - especially w/ luggage.
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Well-the Victoria Express is nice and easy to get too-so I might combine the 2 and just grab a cab for a short ride from Victoria Station...and we are arriving on the 20th and a cab might be tough if streets are closed off..maybe? I am now rethinking the hotel..any last minute suggestions..just a tad bit more amenities..? thanks again
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Hi Buffyhart,

One suggestion the children might enjoy is a visit to The London Dungeon. It's in Tooley St. which is just next to one of the railway stations (but I can't remember which one! Maybe London Bridge?) Anyway, the first part of the visit is a pretty regular Chamber of Horrors, but then you are taken through to a separate area & that is where the fun really begins. I don't want to spoil the surprise but you are transported back in time to old world London & I would definitely recommend it for teens - it's funny & scary (but not too much) & when we were there (a couple of years ago) they did a really good re-enactment of the Jack the Ripper story. Now I think of it, the same Company has an attraction in Edinburgh too (you guessed it - The Edinburgh Dungeon) but it's not a patch on the London one.

Hope you have a great time.
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I've done the Victoria Station thing with luggage and thought it a hike but not that bad. But it IS stairs and not an elevator and if between that and a hesitation about hitting the tube right off, I'd definitely grab a cab.

Regarding the hotel, have you checked the descount sites like lastminute.com and londontown.com? Budget?
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:31 PM

County Hall is within walking distance of the IMAX cinema at Waterloo. Not sure how you feel about letting them out on their own, and the cinema is in the middle of some underground walkways some might find a bit daunting - but maybe you could organise your meeting with your friend around walking with the youngsters to the cinema and meeting them afterwards?
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Or what am I thinking about - the National Film Theatre, which will have a much wider range of movies and can be reached by walking along the river front past the London Eye. There are also bars and restaurants in and around there and the concert halls and National Theatre.