suggestions please

Jan 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

suggestions please

We are a kiwi couple on holiday in Europe in May. We complete a cruise in Amsterdam and start a bike ride from Strasbourg 8 days later. We are looking for suggestions on how best to spend those 8 days. Our preference is smaller towns and villages.

Jan 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM

"suggestions please"

My suggestion is to re-post w/ a better title. Your "suggestions please" is lumped in w/ all the other threads on here for every part of Europe. No one will have a clue what you want to know from this title.

I'd try something like "How to spend 8 days between Amsterdam and Strasbourg?"
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Never been there, but I was thinking of this a few years ago and there are TONS of good websites, for instance www.visit-alsace.com
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I've never done this before
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Where did you go on the cruise and where will you be going on the bike tour? There are lots of interesting options, but I don't want to give suggestions for places you have already been. You like smaller towns and villages. What about art & architecture, history, natural scenery?
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

The cruise is along the Rhine, Main and Danube River to Budapest and the bike ride from Strasbourg, Colmar, Riquewihr, Obernai and back to Strasburg. We want to explore the French countryside, villages, cafes etc
Jan 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Hmmm...my first thought was Paris...but you want small towns and villages. I would stay in Amsterdam for 2-3 days, then what about Bruges in Belgium? I wouldnt spend 8 days there...but 2-3 would be nice. Then you could aim for Champagne region or Nancy in France before heading to Strasbourg.
Jan 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM

For smaller towns and villages go to Friesland, or one of the Islands. Rent a bike there too and explore a little bit. Maybe Vlieland would suit as only the locals are allowed cars, all visitors have to cycle. Though Vlieland only has one village come to think of it. Texel would be good, more villages, and cycle friendly, but with a good bus srvice too. Or as I said a bit of Friesland, say around Sneek. Hire a boat and explore the area by water.
Or stay in Amsterdam, and do day trips out to towns and villages from there.
You may enjoy Luxembourg, not just the city, but the country. Or if you can stand another river, maybe the Mosel area would suit you- lots of lovely villages, bikeable, or by public transport.
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Would strongly recommend Bruge, BE as it has the ambience of a small town, very unique. From there you do have time to explore Normandy, lots of nice towns and villages to expolore as well as the famed Normandy beach of WWII fame. From there you could stop in Paris on about day 5 or so, and make a decision to either stay in Paris ( which would be my preference) or proceed to the above mentioned Champagne region.

Search this Thread