Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Rough Itinerary for Spain, Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I think we may have a rough a itinerary for our trip to Spain in Sept/Oct! However, I would appreciate the fine folks here at Fodor's to take a peek and let me know what they think, please!

We will be traveling from Sept 18 - Oct 6, round trip between LAX and Madrid. We cannot change the flight at all, so no open jaw for us. I'm traveling with my S/O who doesn't appreciate all the advantages of public transportation (he likes the freedom to go where he wants, when he wants), so this has really morphed into a sort of road trip. That's fine with me, as I also appreciate road trips!

Our plans are not to rush, but to take things slowly. I understand in some places reservations will be a must, but we are really trying to keep things open in the event that we want to stay longer or leave earlier. We do not mind taking "the road less traveled" - in fact, I think we would prefer that. I hope this sets the idea for everyone? Okay....

We will have 17 days and nights in Spain. I've taken off Sept 18 and Oct 6, as they really are full travel days. We arrive in Madrid around 3:30pm on Monday, Sept 19.

Sept 19 - arrive Madrid, pick up car, and stay at a hotel relatively close to the airport. (We will be touring Madrid later in the trip. We figure we will be so jet-lagged that we will most likely want to grab a bite to eat, then sleep!)

Sept 20 - Leave Madrid, arrive Toledo. Spend night in Toledo.

Sept 21 - Leave Toledo, arrive at ??? I'm thinking either Caceres or Merida. We will probably take the main highway part way, but will make use of some lesser roads. It appears there are a number of lakes in the area that S/O would like to explore. If anyone can suggest which place is better, it would be appreciated!

Sept 22 - Arrive Sevilla

Sept 23 - Sevilla and environs

Sept 24 - Sevilla and environs

Sept 25 - Sevilla and environs (will be making a day trip one of these days to Cordova)

Sept 26 - leave Sevilla, arrive Ronda. (It just seems "magical" to me.) Am strongly drawn to staying at the Hotel San Gabriel. (the only hotel I've thought about so far!)

Sept 27 - leave Ronda, arrive Granada

Sept 28 - Granada - Alhambra, Albycin, ???

Sept 29 - leave Granada, arrive Valencia

Sept 30 - leave Valencia, arrive Barcelona

Oct 1 - Barcelona

Oct 2 - leave Barcelona, arrive Zaragosa

Oct 3 - leave Zaragosa, arrive Madrid

Oct 4 - Madrid

Oct 5 - Madrid (Am most interested in the Prado, Palacio Real, Plaza Mayor, and perhaps a day trip to the Escorial)

I know the time in Barcelona is short - some might say too short - but beyond Gaudi (who I have no interest in) and Las Ramblas - what is left? I also figure, since Zaragosa is fairly close to Barcelona, if we want to do Monserrat, it is entirely possible the day we leave Barcelona.

And yes, there is a lot of driving, but this is turning into the "Great Spain Road Trip" me thinks. I understand that most might not think there is a lot to "see" via the road, but I think that changes if you are in the mindset for a road trip. Perhaps I'm wrong? Plus, I just finished reading Don Quixote, so I'm a bit excited to see La Mancha and Zaragosa and all the places written about in the book.

So....critiques? Suggestions? Absolute no-nos, absolute musts?

So many here at Fodors have helped me plan trips before, I look forward to any ideas/suggestions/tips/helps! Thank you!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:41 AM

So why go to Barcelona? I would do the round trip differently: from Toledo go to Granada, Cordoba and Seville, and come back up via the Extremadura and see Segovia, Avila and Salamanca. I think that it reduces the travel distances.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM

My favorite part of Spain is Andalucia and I think you have about the right amount of time in your stops there. However, I agree with Michael. I wouldn't bother with Barcelona if you can stay only one day - it is a long drive and you can make better use of your time by following his suggestions. Another alternative is to go directly to Seville after arriving in Madrid and add the time saved to Barcelona; skip Zaragoza and add that time to Barcelona, return your car when you arrive in Barcelona and return to Madrid by train. You won't need a car in Madrid or Barcelona anyway.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hi cheli, Im Spanish, so I think I could give you some ideas. First at all, the design is very well programmed, but if you would have time to, very close to Madrid also not in your way down to Andalucia there are Avila, Salamanca and Segovia, these 3 cities strongly worths a visit, but maybe you could do it in your following trip to "the other half" of Spain. . Then how you are planning it I suggest you to go (after Madrid) to Merida (307 km) or ÇCaceres, (341 km). Both of them are really nice, do not miss in Merida the Roman Theathre. Cacere´s old town is formed by XIV, XV and XVI centuries houses and palaces, so do not miss a walk. Between Caceres and Badajoz, strongly recomended the village called Trujillo, (land of conquerors), 47 km from Caceres. If time to, do not miss Guadalupe and its "monasterio", (sorry do not know the english word for that). Lakes you mention is robably "Doñana", one of the Spanish biggers protected natural parks, but I think that they are not really in your straight way to Sevilla. 3 days in Sevilla should be enough, if time to, go to Carmona, (small village). Of course, Cordoba and "La mezquita" are a must. GRanada is another must with La Alhambra, El Generalife, La Carrera del Darro, La Cartuja, El Albayzin. On the way to Ronda from Sevilla, I suggest you to go through Malaga, and if possible to stay one night. Visit Picasso´s Museum, Gibralfaro castle, La Alcazaba, (alcazar), all the area around the port and the narrow small streets aroud their main street, (calle Larios). If possible, stay at the Parador de Gibralfaro, (close to the town but with superb views over the city and the sea). Ronda is a must. No words for it. GRanda to Valencia is around 6 driving hours. Valencia to Barcelona around the same. Feel free to email me if you have any doubt. Cheers
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Michael and Mamc ~ Thank you so much for the replies. I, too, am tempted to pass on Barcelona this trip only because I feel like we are "pushing" to squeeze this in. And by doing that, I don't think we will be able to fully explore the city and its environs. From what you two are saying, then perhaps Barcelona should not be part of this trip. (Perhaps another trip with Barcelona and the Basque country??)

Now I just have to pose my argument in a logical way to my S/O!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Pepomalo ~ Thank you so much! It's great to hear from Spainards!

I'm thinking I would like to spend more time in Extremadura, as that is the home of most of the conquistadors which we studied quite extensively here in California. I'm also intrigued by Salamanca (one of Europe's oldest universities!), and also Avila and Segovia. However, every time I mention these cities, my S/O asks, "Well, what's there to see?" All I can come up with is "university, Roman aqueduct, and cathedrals." He's not excited by my answers, so I think I have some more boning up to do. (He is a rather confusing person as he says he wants to avoid the bigger cities, but hasn't realized that the smaller towns may not have all the excitement of the cities!)

I'm not sure what the lakes are called. They appear on the map to be along roadway (a little to the east) that goes to Merida and Caceres. Again, will have to do some more research.

If I were to exclude the trip to Barcelona/Zaragosa, that would give me 4 days to explore. Would going as far north as Leon be an option? Or is that too far north? I know that Leon used to be the capitol of the area, but is there anything to see, or is it a good place to relax and unwind?

I know I still have so many questions, but I promise I did some research before asking them!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM

Yes, my suggestion is that you not go further north than Madrid, and see the south and the western areas as I listed them. You would be going through Merida and Caceres too.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM

Yes, my suggestion is that you not go further north than Madrid, and see the south and the western areas as I listed them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM

depending on how much you like to just relax once in awhile when you reach an area.. i find some of your itinerary very rushed ( for me) and in and out of car.. suitcases!! (UGH!) and back on the road.

i would stay more than one night in many of the areas you suggest after /before sevilla and do day trips in a circle.. finding a nice lunch place and avoiding all evening traffic whatsoever. also. luggage is safe at hotel, notin car most of time while touring.

take a look at www.paradores.es. these are refurbished mostly castles that
have been turned into lovely atmospheric hotels. no S/O would be bored a night or two in any one of the historical hotels.
they have 5 night good deals off season.

you could end trip and car in valencia..( one of most extensive historic district in europe) only 3.5 hours back to madrid on alaris pseudo high speed train.
i suggest first class which includes lunch/diner when mealtimes and UNLIMITED drinks of all kinds!!!
plus VIP lounge before you catch the train with complimentary drinks and snacks and papers.

really FUN.

ditto for euromed to barcelona. 3 hours.

you will not be seeing LA Mancha unless you go off track at toldo and if you do just go to CONSUEGRA to get it all at once.. series of windmils... then a caste atop a ridge that is to die for .-. day or night.

do you like rural accomodtaions once in a while?? check out www.toprural.com. we checked out an impressive small estate near caceres/ trujillo/guadalupe called something "santamaria" i THINK!!
will try to find website.

there is a lot ot see. if you do drive form granada to valencia do not miss the cave houses at guadix ( also hotel), and then ORIHUELA is a very historical town with a palatial home hotel called Palacio Tudemir which has absolutely charming lobby and restaurant, meeting rooms and hallways.
rroms are modern, but the entire atmosphere is really nice, especially when you can get it on www.bancotel.com for 50 euros!!

i just wrote a short report on sevilla after our 3 day trip there.
enjoy spain.

you will just whet your appetite in 17 days.

p.s. i think i might not pick up rent a car til next day.. why pay?? and take airport shuttle to hotel and next day to get car.
or.. get car and go to alcala de henares, famous for cervantes' birthpace, more stork's nests than you can count on a church or building roof(seriously), and it is a world heritage site.

there is also an excellent archaeology museum, among others, and quaint restaurants. i love the place. very quiet in spite of the tons of university students. connected to madrid by commuter train (20 minutes)
(world heritage sites also has great webpage info)

also.. most of the same chain stores as madrid, and charming porticoed walkways in town. very picturesque.

also,. FYI, toledo is only 1.5 hours away.. but might be a bit much first day of travel. alcala is only 15 minutes from airport!! we go there for lunch/ dinner if we are very early for flight.

You may also want to stop in aranjuez, nice town south, but well communicated with all sorts of alternate routes to madrid, toledo, etc.. where the royal summer palace is, even if you only take photos from outside.

it has a lovely river through it, and an excelllent naval museum with the royal boats used hundreds of years ago by past kings.

also near airport is previous king's farmland estate,now an excellent restaurant and also holds one of the most complete private ICON collections owned by some russian , in this part of europe. it is on the way to alcala de henares but the name fails me. sorry. worth a stop.

i am sure someone reading this and wondering when i am going to stop blabbing will set you straight on name!!

well.. enough is enough. there is just so much to see, and these are some fun places that are a bit off the beaten track. enjoy your research.

the hotels in campo de naciones fairground area are very close to great sidewalk cafes ( alot of the same ones downtown) and corte ingles (shoppers paradise, and food stuffs excellent quality).
some hotels have FREE transport to madrid once or twice a day or at least to metro stop. buses serve the area also. and they are all new hotels in past ten years.

check out BARAJAS under madrid at bancotel website.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

lincasanova ~ Wow! You've given me quite a bit to digest. Looks like we will be getting the map out once more and reviewing/reworking plans!