Suggestions for pre transatlantic cruise

Aug 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for pre transatlantic cruise

We are leaving on a transatlantic trip from Southampton, England in October. We'd like to visit some places in Europe for the week prior to our cruise. We'd like to see Venice but are not coming up with any other ideas for the rest of the week. We've been to Florence, Rome, etc. Perhaps France would be an easier trip?? I think I'm stumped by so many choices. Hopefully, someone out there in Fodor land has put together something interesting. We are open to all suggestions....even Germany or Turkey. Thanks.
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Our favorite city----Paris!
Aug 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM

You may want to do part of northern France, Brittany or Normandy( quite a few trip reports now here) then just take a ferry across to Southampton again instead of dealing with flights and land transport from airport to port.
Aug 26th, 2010, 05:29 AM
ira

Fly to Venice 3 nights, fly to Paris 3 nights fly back to the UK.

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 26th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I like ira's suggestion.

For other options Amsterdam? Vienna? Nice? Somewhere in Spain?
Aug 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM

October is a good time for Istanbul. especially if it comes as it did last year with temperatures between 15-25 C and not much rain.

there is more to see in Istanbul in terms of the combination of historic sights,natural beauty, excellent food, night life for all budgets.

trying to look at it from your perspective, another interesting location could be St. Petersburg, but october would be one of the worst months for that city.

Athens is also interesting but not half as much as Istanbul.

If you wish to spend 3-4 days in istanbul and a few days somewhere else interesting in Turkey, then you have at least four nice alternatives:

- The exotic landscapes and history of Cappadocia
- the glory of the Greek and Roman empires at Selcuk/Ephesus, etc.
- The Lycian Cities and the beaches of Antalya region.
- The interestin natural and historic sights of Fethiye/Olu Deniz with or without a 1-3 day gulet cruise on the Turquise coast.

Each of these are 60-90 minutes reasonably priced flight from Istanbul. You have a choice of two airports and THY, Anadolu Jet, Pegassus, Atlas Jet and Sunexpress airlines, some of which provide shuttles to major touristic destinations upon arrival also.
Aug 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies. I can always count on Fodorites with great suggestions. AND....Ira...you read my mind. I was going to ask about Venice. I was able to get our one way flight to Paris for only 30,000 American miles so I decided that would be a good starting point. Having been to Paris several times (and loving it) I think 3 days may be enough for this trip. I would love to squeeze in Venice because I have never been there. Amy suggestions for getting there (train or plane)? Wondering if we should even bother with London, being that we have to end up in southampton to board the ship. I hear Southampton is horrible and not a good place to be overnight. However, London is about 80 miles away. Decisions, decisions.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. After planning several successful trips (Bongkok, Cambodia, Egypt, Dubai, etc.) with Fodorites helps, I can't make a decision without all of you. Collectively, you are all more knowledgeable than any tour book!
Aug 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Southampton isn't unsafe, although there is relatively little of tourist interest. However, if you wanted to stay in the vicinity the night before rather than in Southampton, there are some nice places in the New Forest for instance (and elsehwere in the Hampshire countryside), and Winchester and Salisbury aren't that far.

I think you can fly direct between Southampton and Venice:

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flight...e/Southampton/

So if you can find a reasonable flight from Paris to Venice you can then get back to Southamption easily without needing to go through London.
Aug 29th, 2010, 03:17 AM
ira

Hi f,

>suggestions for getting there...<

Check airfares at www.whichbudget.com

Sep 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM

It seems strange to fly from Venice to the UK to take a ship back to the States! Why not overland it all the way?

You could splash out on the Venice Simplon Orient Express vintage luxury train (www.orient-expresstrains.com) if they have a suitable departure, or simply take sheduled trains Venice-Milan-Paris-London, see www.seat61.com/Italy.htm.

The QM2 is fantastic - we've just come back from a flight-free round trip from the UK to the States (getting as far west at LA & San Francisco, no flights involved), I've posted what we found on the Queen Mary 2 at www.seat61.com/queen-mary-2.htm. Definitely try the Todd English restaurant at least one night on the crossing - and it IS a real 'crossing' not a 'cruise'! Make sure you're up at 04:45 to witness the arrivalinto New York, it's so worth the early start.