Suggestions for Fado in Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a Fado performance that doesn't include dinner. We are traveling with a Vegitarian. We would rather pay a cover charge and get a couple of drinks.
Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Hi, Marge,
I haven't been to this place, but in the last year or so a more formal Fado stage performance place has opened up right smack in between Chicado and Bairro Alto on the Rua de Misercordia.

There's a performance Tues-Sat at 7 pm, so I assume it is geared for the tourist crowd, but I know nothing about the quality of the performers.

It's at the Cine Theatro Gymnásio - Rua da Misericórdia, 12
Info: 213 239 204

The Portuguese Airlines TAP has something about it on its website that I saw recently: http://www.flytap.com/UK/en/TAP/Comp...-FadoInChiado/

But as I said, I haven't been there nor do I know anyone who has. Laurie
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 01:52 AM

you might try a fado club called Caldo Verde. it's in the neighborhood bairro alto. i'm not sure though if you can just have drinks only. check before going. also this neighborhood is rather gritty especially at night. but there are many fado clubs & restaurants with loads of people moving about at night. we went twice and had no problems.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM

A few notes on Caldo Verde.
If you are not planning to have dinner in there, it's polite to go after 10 pm (the place is busy between 8pm and 10pm with dinners). The place is great when the larger number of tourists are gone and the neighbours arrive for a drink.
The management expects a minimum consumption around 10 euros, which I think is fair. Try the Caldo Verde, the traditional soup from where the place got its name. With a Caldo Verde soup and a jar of sangria or a couple of beers, you fulfil easily the 10 euros/person. Their desserts are good. Baba de camelo (camel spit) and Serradura (saw dust) are amomg the best I have had.
Is your friend strictly veg? I ask this because Caldo Verde soup comes with a slice of sausage.
As in any Fado place, the performance is not continuous. One artist sings for 10 minutes or so, with a 10 minutes interval and then another one. These intervals should be used to arrive and leave the place, when you think is enough for you.
Another note, most singers will try gently to push some of their own CDs to increase their income. The expectd cost is around 15 euros. If you are not interested you have only to smile and decline.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM

I second Caldo Verde. And if you feel so inclined, practice your Fado and ask to give a performance!
This place is great fun in an informal atmosphere. But you still must follow Fado rules. No talking during any performance.