Suggestions for BO trip please!

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for BO trip please!

Hello All!

My husband and I and another couple are planning a trip to Switzerland in early October '08 which will include 6 nights in the BO area. We will be traveling there by train from Basel.

We are trying to decide whether to stay two nights each in Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald, or three nights in two of the above. Because of the slow time of year would a day trip to Murren be more suitable?One member of our party has mentioned Zermatt, but that seems a bit out of the way for such a short amount of time. Comments?

October seems to be similar to April as far as hotels being closed. It appears the popular Alpenrose in Wengen is one of these, along with the Berghaus. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Schonegg or the Gletshergarten in Grindelwald?

Any itinerary and hotel suggestions that you can make would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd suggest staying in two villages instead of three. Personally, I could spend all six nights in one spot and I'd probably choose Wengen, but that's just me.

It's relatively quick and very easy to travel between any of these villages, especially if you have some sort of train pass, like the Swiss Pass, that will cover your rail/cable car transportation between locations.

You might look into the Hotel Eiger in Grindelwald - last time I checked they were one of the few hotels open year round. We stayed there once and would do so again.

The Alpenruh in Murren is the only hotel I'm aware of that's open year round there. They have a very good restaurant and also own the restaurant in the Schilthorn cable station, which is directly across from the hotel - good food there too, similar menu.

Murren is a very quiet village, even more so after the main tourist season, but that's what draws me to the place.

Where you stay really depends on what you want to do - if you're looking for a peaceful get away, Murren is ideal. If you want a wider choice of dining options, Grindelwald would suit you better (although there may be a lot of closures in October). Wengen is sort of in the middle.

Zermatt is a bit of a ride from the BO, but it's a great spot as well, and October should be a nice time to visit. We've been to the BO and Zermatt several times in November and pre-ski season December and we really enjoy visiting both that time of year.

Have fun.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Your comments are very helpful.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it will be that slow beg. October. It's hiking season and the most schools in Switzerland are on fall holiday.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Best advice for BO are frequent baths and a high quality deodorant. Skip the cabbage and go easy on the beer.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'd stay in one location as it's a snap to get anywhere thanks to the great trains and lifts and one less day relocating, etc. is better IMO

and you may get a better hotel rate for six days rather than two or three

Yes Swiss Pass would cover frequent trains between Grindelwald, Murren and Wengen
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! Too bad about the cabbage and beer, though -- two of my favorites.....