Suggestions for a Pisa/Lucca/Levanto itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying with a large group of family and friends in the Chianti region of Tuscany next June, and then my wife and I will spend 5 more nights on our own before flying home from Pisa. Here's the current thought -

- Drop off our rental car (which we will have picked up at Pisa Airport the week before) around noon in Lucca. Spend the night inside the walls in Lucca.

- Take the train to Levanto. Spend 3 nights in a lodging that has a nice ocean view.

- Take the train to Pisa. Spend the night in the historic area. Depart on a 1:25 p.m. flight the next afternoon.

Sound reasonable? Any suggestions for lodgings that fit the bill?

Thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Nothing unreasonable about your plan, but were it me, I would probably drive the car to Levanto first, drop of the luggage, then drop off the car in La Spezia when it was convenient. If I was feeling flush, I might even keep the car, basing instead in or around Lerici. (My picks would be Serra or Tellaro). That way, if it rained, I'd have a car to go elsewhere than the beach.

After enjoying the Riviera, I would proceed by train or car to either Lucca or Pisa and base there for two nights, touristing the town I didn't stay in as a day trip. (I prefer Pisa to Lucca, but others disagree).

If you base in Lucca, your flight is so late in the day, you can take an early morning train to Pisa (or drive if you still have the car) and there are airport buses too, or a taxi.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM

PS: If you end up deciding to stay in Pisa, this place has always appealed to me. You can look up reviews on TripAdvisor.

http://www.relaissassetti.it/
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Balto - sounds like a good plan. Could you share the name of your Levanto hotel? We will be in that area in May.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM

CPG - I don't have any lodgings picked out yet. I'll post here when I do.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM

We're now thinking about using Lucca as our base for the full 4 or 5 nights after we finish with the villa rental, doing day trips to Pisa, Florence, and a hike of the Cinque Terre. There are some great apartments inside the wall in Lucca available on VRBO.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Be aware that Lucca can get muggy and warm in June, so if you need air conditioning to sleep, that might influence your apartment choice.

Also, if you are keen to hike in le Cinque Terre, the sun gets quite fierce after about 10am on a clear June day. Best to start out very early from Lucca, especially if you are relying on the train. It's a full 2 hours from Lucca to Riomaggiore.