Suggestions for 3rd city in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Italy next summer, it is our 4th trip and we are trying to see some new things and some old things we love. Our itinerary looks like this:

Fly in (and out) of Milan. We got a great deal on tickets so I could not do an open-jaw for the same price.

Arrive 6/13/09 Friday -Stay the first night in Milan - see the Duomo (have not done that before)

Villa in Umbria 6/13-20 - Day trips all over Umbria. (Been to Tuscany, but not much time in Umbria)

Now, the dilemma - We want to end our trip in Venice for 3 nights before returning to Milan for the flight out, but need a 3 night stop in between. We (myself and husband) have been to Venice before, but not with the kids, who are joining us this trip.

We are tempted to do 3 nights in Florence, although we have been there before (all of us) - but there is so much to see. Or, do we try someplace new like Bologna, or possibly the Lake district?

We have done Rome, Amalfi Coast, Tuscany...

Not sure when (if) we'll get back to Italy after this trip, so don't want to miss a great destination. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not good at telling people which places they would like over other ones, so I won't suggest where you should spend those 3 days. (I will say you will probably love your week in Umbria!)

If you decide on one of the lakes (probably Como or Maggiore), it would make more sense to go to Venice after Umbria and go to the lake last. It's an easy shot to Malpensa from either/both Lakes Como and Maggiore.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Verona or the Dolomiti?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Jean - your suggestions makes sense if we do the lakes - Which lake do you prefer?

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

aramis -

I have not been to Verona except for a quick lunch on the way to Venice years ago. Is there enough to see for 3 nights?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Jean -

Our flight out of Malpensa is at 12:00 - would we have enough time to get from Como or Maggiore that morning, or would you recommend the last night in Milan?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Florence is a good bet, and however busy, CT would be a great three days. Hiking, beaches, and great views.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM

I would definetly add Bologna. Talk about great food. Plus the many daytrip you could do from there. There is Modena, Parma, Ravenna to name a few.

What ever you decide, have a great trip.

Tom
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM

What are the ages of the children? If old enough, I think they, and you, would love the Cinque Terre, but that could be very HOT in June.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned that we have done CT - loved it! But now we are on to something new. We are traveling with adult son and new bride, and our 17 and 13 year old sons. I am tempted to do Bologna - but need more info to talk my husband into it... He likes the lake areas, but I think the kids might be bored. They loved Florence and we could go back and see more (or see again)!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM

We spend 3 or 4 days in Florence each time we go to Italy. After 6 trips, we have seen nearly every part of the country except for Apulia, which I guess will be next. With 3 days, if you enjoyed Florence before, it will be a great option. From our experience, Bologna would not hold interest for 3 days. The lakes are wonderful and you probably could find enough to do for 3 days. But, that said, I recommend Florence.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Lucca or Varenna on Lake Como,
maybe????
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM

You can easily get to Malpensa by car from Lake Como in time for a 12pm flight. We did this a couple of weeks ago with no problem. (We spent our last 4 nights of the trip in Menaggio; the drive to Malpensa from there is very easy).
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM

We stayed for 2 nights in Bologna this year, loved it & wished we'd stayed there longer.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Verona is great. Three nights worth depends on what you like. They have outdoor Operas in the Roman Ampitheater. We didn't spend three days but the Opera season was over and we didn't care to do any of the Romeo and Juliet sites.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I don't think you can spend too much time in Florence but I know some disagree. We have done the lake district prior to flying out of Malpensa and it worked beautifully.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I'd look at Lago Maggiore for a few days just before you fly out of Malpensa. It's close to Malpensa and big (maggiore!) with lots to do. We spent several days in Locarno (actually Switzerland). From the middle of Locarno, you can take a 3-part funicular/gondola/ski lift trip up into the Alps behind. (Be sure and stop off at the Madonna del Sasso for a great view over the lake.) There are also bus trip into the Alps, boat trips to the Borromean Isles and the tiny Centovalli railway.

Stresa in Italy is much closer to both the Borromean Isles and Malpensa. So it might be a better choice for your stay. But I'm not familiar with its attractions.

And have you considered just spending more time Venice? Kids (how old are they?) love Venice.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for great suggestions - it might be fun to go to Switzerland for a daytrip at least.

The kids are 17 & 13. I am seriously looking into Lake Como, and I'll check Maggiore as well -

Verona is also a possibility, and Florence is not off the table either. It's hard to decide...
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The two couples (especially the newlyweds) would probably love the atmosphere at either Lake Como or Lake Maggiore. If you combine your stay with some exploring in Switzerland (as Mimar suggested), you could keep the teenagers interested. Both lakes are great, but I've spent more time at Lake Como. If you stay in the mid-Lake Como area (Menaggio/Bellagio/Varenna), there is bus service from Menaggio to Lugano.

If you'd like the idea of 3 apartments in a small complex in the center of Bellagio, look at www.residencelalimonera.com.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I'm not going to suggest the lakes region, just because the area just didn't "click" with me (or DH). It's beautiful, and beautiful to walk along the lakes, but seemed a bit quiet. I'm not sure how much a 17 and 13 yo would like the area.

Also, your time in Umbria, while wonderful, will be quieter and more peaceful, similar to visiting the Lakes area. Time in Venice and Florence will be more people- and culture-oriented. So if you want some variety from Umbria (the most days of your trip), consider Florence or Bologna.

Bologna has already been suggested. It's a medium-sized city, full of students (oldest university in Europe), not touristy, lots of interesting neighborhoods, and GREAT food (and market). I could see it as a place where the younger 2 could spend some time by themselves, especially around the campus area or the main square, Piazza Maggiore (lots of younger people there in the evenings, similar to Piazza Duomo in Florence). While I agree that 3 days IN Bologna wouldn't necessarily provide enough to do, there are many day-trip destinations in the area.

It sounds like some in your group are interested in returning to Florence, and some want something new. Of the Florence folks, find out specifically what about it they liked, and find new places that have that same thing (or similar).

Wherever you go, enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -