Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions - Backpacking Europe in July (& August) - Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am looking to backpack Europe for six weeks, including all of July (I have no choice!). I am hoping to focus on Eastern Europe, but I would also like to spend about a week along the coast! I was originally hoping to get to Italy, but would like to save that for a whole separate trip during a less busy time when I can get to more there. What are some good, coastal cities where I can avoid the July crowds and extremely expensive prices? Any other general suggestions for in-expensive, crowd-avoiding peak month travels?
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which coast? the Balkans will still be crowded, but likely cheaper than the French or Italian rivieras, and parts are spectacular. Albania will be cheaper still.

There's also the North Sea/Baltic Sea coast, which won't be as hot, but tends to be flatter.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earlier in July the better for beaches - head there first - say the Dalmatian Coast - but yes in northern Europe beaches are rarely crowded except for on the rare sunny hot streak.

If going by train in Eastern Europe check out the European East Pass or Eurail Select Pass - if under 26 you can get a Youthpass- lets you hop on just about anytrain in countries you select to be covered (Select Pass) - for lots on trains and where to go (like seaside places by rail) check www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.