Suggestion Required for a Trip to Turkey

Dec 29th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Suggestion Required for a Trip to Turkey

Hello All,

Every Year, me and my wife visit a new destination and in 2018, we wish to do Turkey . We have a total of 9 days.

A friend of mine suggested Istanbul, Goreme, Pammukale and Selcuk. I personally would also like to visit Antalya.

1) Is all this possible in 9 days. Can you please suggest an itinerary. If we need to skip any one of the destinations...which one would it be?

2) Can we do a trip to Turkey on our own using public transport OR do we have to use a tour company?

3) Is December a good time to visit?

Thanks....
Dec 30th, 2017, 04:54 AM

1. Yes, but rather hectic
2. It's very easy to do it on your own
3. No, probably one of the worst months
Dec 30th, 2017, 01:43 PM
kja

As neckervd said, you CAN see all thse places in 9 days, but whether it makes sense to do so depends on your interests. For example, I wanted 6 full days for a first busy visit to the highlights of Istanbul, 3 full days for Goreme, etc. Here's what I recommend: Get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

I agree that there is no need for a tour – it is easy to do on your own. Whether you will need a car or can rely exclusively on public transportation depends on what, exactly, you end up choosing to see.

For historic climate data, see wunderground.com or timeanddate.com