Suggested Hotels in Fira, Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're surprising our college-aged daughter and her roommate with a weekend trip to Santorini (they're in Greece on a study-abroad trip). They're 22, design students, love the water and architecture and mom and dad are paying, so $ is not necessarily the object. What's your favorite hotel in Fira, Santorini? We're looking at the Hotel Santorini Palace and the El Greco, so far, but are open for suggestions. Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Hi,
I have not stayed in Fira, but my recommendation would be to make sure that the hotel in right on the caldera. It would be great to have the pool facing the caldera. In Santorini, you are there for the view. Try this web site for a good list of hotels. www.magicaljourneys.com
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:09 AM

I suggest Oia over Fira, overall the architecture is more traditional. The Cave Houses dominate the village, and there are many lovely small hotels that overlook the caldera for a fantastic view: Esperas,Katikies, Oia Mare and Perivolas Villas to name a few. Oia is the loveliest village on the island and can easily be reached by taxi or bus from Fira.

Here is a link to a good list of hotels all over the island to help with your search:

http://www.santorinihotels.com/hotels.php
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Do not stay at the Palace...that has nothing to refer t a palace!!bad service, tired rooms etc...

Why not the Chromata, a hotel(fully revamped last year) awarded for its architecture with a breathtaking infinity pool or the brand new Notos spa (a beach resort)designed by the same architect of chromata,Katikies...
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:46 AM

I think 22-year-olds might prefer to visit Oia rather than stay there, if they're interested in more of a party scene in the evenings. It just depends on what they want to get up to. Oia is much smaller and far quieter than Fira. They should definitely take a look at it, because it IS beautiful, but maybe as a side trip.
Firostefani is right next to Fira (easy walking distance) but is away from the hustle so a good place to stay.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM

BTW Chromata is in Imerovigli, partway between Fira and Oia. I will be staying there for a week following the Olympics and will post a report on my return.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM

As a redhead myself, I agree with a previous poster that young women would probably prefer to stay in Fira - where the action is. I stayed at the Loucas Hotel, right on the caldera, and loved it. The hotel has gotten good reviews on this forum, which is why I choose it when I went to Santorini in 2000. Sitting on your balcony watching the sunset is an unforgettable experience. Then, the young women will enjoy the night life and great restaurants in Fira. It's easy to visit Oia - I walked along the caldera to Oia (it takes about 3 hours), then took the local bus back to Fira. Oia has more "upscale" shops than Fira, in my opinion, and is a lovely (but quieter) town.
Martha
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I spent my 30th birthday in the islands last year.... chance are that they'd prefer Fira than Oia for the nightlife. (Though make sure they know to at least go to Oia for a sunset one afternoon... there are lots of cute restaurants and cafes along the cliffs that are filled with people there to witness 'the event'.

I stayed a a low-budget hotel on the main road to Fira-- wouldn't recommend it. I recall walking by a nice looking Best Western-associated hotel that seemed to have a fun-filled pool area and young people-- but it was not right on the caldera (not that a 22-year old would really need it... I'd expect them to be at the beach, on a boat tour, at at the bars most of the time. Save your $$ on the hotel and send them out exploring instead

Hope she enjoys it--- lucky girl!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to check back and let you know that we ultimately did choose the Santorini Palace and it was wonderful! Room was $168 for a double, with breakfast included and considering it is high season, that's not too bad. No view of the Caldera, but since they got to see it all day while they were walking around, it wasn't missed. The girls' room was clean and comfortable and very large, on the 5th floor, with a terrific view from their balcony. They said the best thing about the hotel was the awesome service from the hotel staff, waiters, bartenders, bellmen, etc. They even put a bottle of that mangnificent Santorini wine in their room, with a birthday card for my daughter, which I thought was really nice! They did get to Oia for the sunset and walked around Akrotiri, saw the black sand and red sand beaches and all in all had a marvelous weekend. Thanks for everyone's advice and comments. I'll be back if my husand and I ever get to go to Greece to seek more help, I'm sure.