Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggested Check-In Time at CDG on a Sunday???

Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Just reading through some horror stories about CDG. There is an AA flight that leaves CDG on Terminal 2 (I think) at ~3pm on Sunday. The suggested check-in time at the AA website is 2 hours. Is this sufficient time for check-in at CDG? How much time would I need to comfortably make my flight?

THANKS!
Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:06 AM

For me, it wouldn't matter what day I depart as I would like to be at the airport at least 3 hours prior to departure. Sunday most likely has light traffic but that makes no difference to me.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM

Sunday's just as busy a day at CDG as any other - maybe busier than some. I always give my self 2.5-3 hours at that airport, whereas for most others I'm comfortable with 2.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM

Agreed, St. Cirq. I flew home from CDG late last month on a Sunday and it was crazy busy. I arrived 2 hours and 15 minutes before my flight and they were halfway done with boarding when I finally got to the gate (no stopping for snacks, shopping or the bathroom, either)
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM

I agree with 2.5 - 3hours. Any other airport I would allow about 2 as St.Cirq said. We flew out of CDG on a Sunday and to say it was chaotic would be an understatement.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:52 PM

On Sunday May 9th my TGV arrived at CDG at 9:35am. Exactly 30 minutes later I was on the other side of security duty free shopping. Never, ever would I be so foolish as to plan for a 30 minute processing time though.

This was through the ill-fated terminal 2E. Probably the lines are worse now in other terminals since they have to take up the slack from 2E being closed.

Here's my original post from my trip report:

"The train arrived at CDG on time at 9:35. I walked to 2E and started the process of departing. There was virtually no line at the ticket counter, none at passport control and only a couple of people ahead of me at the x-ray machines. When I stepped away from the x-ray machine I looked at my watch and it was 10:05, exactly 30 minutes. Why doesn't it go that quickly when I'm late? "
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:01 PM

AA lies, is my opinion. I have flown AA out of CDG on a Sunday a couple times and it has always taken longer. AA takes longer than any other airline I've flown at CDG because they are completely incompetent (AA staff) and disorganized.

I was on morning flights, but I would never arrive at CDG only 2 hrs before an international flight nowadays, and definitely not on AA. I agree with 2.5-3 hrs.

Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

The Sunday thing was actually info for my TGV travel time question. I was thinking of it while posting this question. Sorry to confuse everyone. My friend answered this for me. But, why not throw it out there for you experienced travelers to confirm or contest: 45min normal travel time for RER from Paris center to CDG? I'm guessing the day of the week doesn't affect travel time but more/less crowds, maybe?

Thanks again for all the helpful responses...I normally do 3 hrs for all int'l flts at any airport anyway (I'm very conservative when it comes to air travel), but I thought CDG may require even more, so, 3 hrs it is!
Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
tmh

I flew back to the US on AA on June 9th along with a bunch of veterans from D-Day celebrations (including Andy Rooney who isn't as endearing in person as he is on TV).

Anyway, I read all the advice on this site and got to the terminal 3 hours early (caught the express RER so lopped off 20+ minutes). Like IndyTraveler we were through in 30 minutes! The veterans didn't slow us down, the 'incompetent' AA staff didn't and our backpacks didn't set off any mental or physical alarms like they do when trying to get back into the US. ("You went for how long and only took those 2 bags?")

Again, like Indytraveler, I would never arrive for a flight - US or overseas - 30 minutes beforehand but it isn't always doom and gloom for everyone.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM

I didn't find Andy Rooney to be endearing on TV anyway.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:42 AM
tmh

Re; Andy Rooney - I don't find him endearing either but the view I got in CDG made him so as the comparison was stark.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:51 AM

We arrive at CDG from the US on Air
France at 6:30 AM from the US and our AF flight to Bordeaux leaves 55 minutes later. It appears that we will be in terminal B for both flights--has anyone had experience with this connection? We typically try to make our change in London where there is more time, but this time the schedule option did not provide with our FF points.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:42 AM

Going thru security at CDG terminal 1 (the round one) is a nightmare, and always takes us well over an hour. This is the first stage, then you have to wait in line at the ticket counter for boarding passes, another good 30 minutes. Two hours is actually cutting it close. Boarding usually begins 50 minutes or so before departure.

I don't recall Terminal 2 being quite as bad.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:26 AM

RobynFrance: your connection time is a very short one. But they will put you on the following flight since you are flying Air France.
In case of plane delay, contact a steward. They generally try to organize pick-ups at the plane gate for people with short connections. However I can't promise that your luggage will follow at the same pace...
Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:31 AM

craisin

The 45 minute time on the RER might be enough if you are on the right bank. From our hotel in the 7th, it took over an hour on metro and RER (even with light bags.)
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If yesterday is any indication, 2.5 hours should be a minimum for checkin--prferably 3. Our flight was shifted from 2A to the infamous Terminal One in the wake of the collapse of 2E. Not a pleasant experience. With the onset of the holiday season, things can only get worse.

Jun 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Give yourself 3 hours. We gave ourselves 2 hours and needed every second and we felt very tense the whole time and we got to the gate after they had started to board the flight.
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Robyn: I've done that connecting flight to Bordeaux on AF and thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest each time. But the AF personnel do seem to shuffle everyone along and onto the planes. Also, in my experience, those connecting flights usually leave 10-15 minutes later than they tell you they'll leave, so everyone can make it.
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:24 AM

craisin,

I am sure most people won't belive what I am about to say, but it is true. AA has a few ticket counters at CDG. I arrived three hours early and it took me two hours to get to my gate.

However, after I waited in line so long, I saw a bank of E-ticket machines that were operated by American. There was a large sign written in English stating that U.S. citizens can check in via E-ticket machine if returning to the U.S. on a roundtrip ticket.

Before reaching the E-ticket machine, you still have to go through one security check point. For example, the security people will check your passport and ask you a few questions before proceeding to the E-ticket machine. You can even check your bags there at the machine.

To prove my point, please go to this link:

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...mation.jhtml#P

or

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/selfService.jhtml

This is the fastest way to check in at CDG. Please post a response after your trip if you used the self check in at CDG. Thanks.
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Yes, I saw that after waiting in line for 2 hours. NO ONE was using it, yet almost everyone qualified. Why would they let hundreds of people stand in line without using it? The long lines were for baggage check so I thought that you still had to stand in line for baggage check then use the machine to get your boarding pass.