Reload this Page >

Suggest small book?

Search

Suggest small book?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Gerry K

Suggest small book?

Can anyone suggest a small book/novella, fiction or non-fiction, that could be read during a single USA-London flight?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:06 AM
zarg

uhm...<BR>The Cat and the Hat?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Sue

Just finished a good legal thriller, Line of Vision, by David Ellis; a real page turner--I was thinking what a great translatlantic read it would be!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
BTilke

You don't say if this your trip starts on the West or East Coast, but here are some suggestions:<BR><BR>The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett; The Return Journey by Maevy Binchy (a collection of short stories about travel); Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell (or the followup 4 Blondes); or The Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card (although it's a sad story in the end, they are some bitterly funny sections about the computer industry and southern tobacco towns in the early 1980s).

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Gerry K

Zarg, I did the Cat and the Hat last year on the Concorde. (Well, not quite all of it.) <BR><BR>Thanks, Sue. Just ordered it from the library.<BR><BR>Any others?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:54 AM
BTilke

Yes, I know it's Maeve Binchy, not Maevy Binchy.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Gerry K

East Coast, BTilke. Thanks.<BR><BR>G<BR><BR>Others?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Grasshopper

My travel partner and I both read BloodWorks by Michael Connelly one year in Scotland... couldn't put it down. It comes out as a Clint Eastwood movie next month. <BR><BR>Last trip I read La Cucina by Lily Prior. I loved it.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Grasshopper

I just thought of another; Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. Fantastic little book.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Gerry K

Perhaps I should have defined "small."<BR>By that I meant something in the 100-150 page range. (Although I suppose I could read half before I got on the plane.) I wanted it to be small for carrying purposes also. <BR><BR>Thanks, Grasshopper. Just finished Connelly's City of Bones yesterday.<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:34 PM
xxx

SMALL, tragic, spare, well written book: Cal, by Bernard MacLaverty

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:38 PM
fan

"Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong--and a great way to get into a conversation with your seatmates!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM
dmr

My pick would be Holiday On Ice (David Sedaris). it's short on pages, small in size and include The Santaland Diaries which is the single funniest thing I've ever read.<BR><BR>A little larger and longer would be Bryson's Notes From A Small Island or Jon Ronson's Them: Adventures With Extremists.<BR><BR>All non-fiction which you probably already knew.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:46 PM
robbie

Any book by Dick Francis. They are mysteries about horse racing and are usually set in England. They're short and are easy reading.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Philip

Any of the books by Helene Hanff. Two in particular to get you into a London mood: "84 Charing Cross" and "Duchess of Bloomsbury".

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 02:01 PM
advice

How about Oxford's Pocket Dictionary? Those are small, I think.<BR><BR>No seriously: Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction: JD Salinger. OR, any short stories by Raymond Carver.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Melanie

Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote<BR><BR>Melanie

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:05 PM
John

Did you ever try any of the books on tape they good listing on long flights and they will be over before you flight is. try the Bella Tuscany Tape series .

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Elizabeth

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Mare

"The Turn Of the Screw" by Henry James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -