Suggest itinerary for 4 days in Torquay area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two grandparents, 2 kids, one crazy forty yr old mother (me!)
I know there are many attractions. What would be the best use of our time?
We are staying in a BB near Cockington.
Kids love beach, wildlife, castles. Any recommendations welcomed
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM

dendle:

The kids, especially will love the famed Dartmoor poinies....you're just minutes away from the dartmmor National Park..get directions from the B and B and you'll be on your way into the heart of the moor. These ponies are particualrly bold and friendly. Two of them once took a liking to my horse-loving wife and nuzzled into the car where we had left the door open.

There is also, nearby to Torquay, Totnes castle ruins...I would suggest tyoy take in Land's End, great views and the picturesque villages of Cornwall surrounding the region...Penzance (no pirates!), Mousehole (great sea food restos), St. Ives, etc. All within easy driving from Torquay. Time permitting, you might drive north on the Coast toward Clovelly...a delighful village sans autos...

You won't be bored. Enjoy.

Stu T.

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/lab-dartmoorponies
http://www.devonponies.co.uk/gallery.html
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Torquay to St. Ives, Penzance, etc. is about 125 miles each way--so depends on how much you like to drive. Don't do it on a Saturday or Sunday if you can avoid it.

The beaches in Torbay are quite close but not as beautiful as those on the west coast of Cornwall. Closer to hand is Dartmouth, home of the Britannia Royal Naval College and Agatha Christie's house which just opened (the river cruise is fun), Dartington Cider Press Centre (shops, restaurants, workshops), Buckfast Abbey, a working abbey, the moors, of course.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM

We would recommend the Paignton to Kingswear steam railway with the ferry over to Dartmouth. From here, you can also get you boats that take you up the Dart, or you can just chill out in Dartmouth itself.

http://www.pdsr.co.uk/page.php?xPage=train.html

Regards

Andy.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Andy, thanks for the link to the railway website. DH and will be going in June and I had already planned on staying in Totnes and taking that train ride. They also have a great train, boat, bus route that we will now be taking.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM

When we visited last September we also visited Brixham, but although it was picturesue, it was way more 'touristy' than we had expected. Would also recommend Dartmoor if you have the transportation to get there.

Another alternative if you have a car/transportation is the Newquay/Perranporth area of Cornwall. Again, quite touristy but wonderful beaches should you strike lucky with the weather.

Regards

Andy.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM

The little red Dartmouth ferry that runs up to Dittisham(you can take the Dittisham-Greenway ferry across to Agatha Christy's home) is a lovely ride. You could also hire a self drive boat at the cafe in Dittisham (nice place to eat outside in good weather or go to the Ferryboat for pub food)and ride on up to Totnes if the tide is in or take the larger roundtrip ferry which has often a pretty fair wildlife pilot who will alert you to birds etc.

Hiring canoes(!) and rowing your way to the pub is always fun--and Canoe Adventures make it even more so--especially the "races" http://www.canoeadventures.co.uk/ and the pub run ends at the very bucolic.

There is also a very nice walk back from Greenways--which ends at the Higher Ferry following up above the steam train--
The Castle ferry runs in the sumer off the Quay in Dartmouth and takes you to Dartmouth Castle (there's a tea cafe as well) and you can either walk back into town or take the ferry--or head up the hill on the SW coastal path.

cheers,
Opus
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM

ooh and I forgot(how could I?)do totally recommend visiting the NT Coleton Fishacre on the Kingswear side--wonderful Arts and Crafts house (the D'Oyly Carte summer home) and gardens plus paths to walk down to the sea--if you are there in spring--bluebells galore.--and a very nice cafe as well.