Reload this Page >

Suggest a good phrase book-please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Sofie

We will be in Italy for 3 weeks in Oct. and I would like to buy a "phrase book" ---I've looked at several ----does anyone have a suggestion?<BR>Thanks<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
xxx

Can't be specific ( I borrowed a couple--Berlitz, etc from my local public library), but make sure the one you pick has a "menu translator"<BR>(or try to find one online)-- a regular phrase book won't let you know what<BR>"strozzapretti" ("priest strangler"' pasta is! There are lots of idiomatic food phrases (can you imagine a poor Italian in the US trying to figure out what "Buffalo Wings" are??) that you might want to define before you order something

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:13 AM
xxxx

I've heard good things about Rick Steves' Italian phrase book. My aunt used it, said it was good. Also read about it on other sites.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Dhiraj

We used the FODORS GUIDE and it served the purpose well.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Tess

Equally if not more important than guide book is actually hearing the language. I've used several phrase books for Italy (Rick Steves, Fodors, Berlitz)-- but for me I need more than a phonetic pronunciation guide. Pimsleur tapes helps with basics AND allows you to hear & practice saying the phrases.