Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seafood restaurants on the Riviera that I won't find in a guide book?

Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites - a more helpful bunch, you'll be hard pressed to find. I'm back asking for your help, this time about seafood restaurants (any restaurants, actually - just NOT EXPENSIVE) on the French Riviera that I won't find in guide books. This will be our second trip to the area, so we've seen all the "must sees" and now want to explore. We're staying in Nice for five nights and will rent a car to travel the backroads and small towns. We'll probably be taking lunch in the hinterlands and dinners in Nice. Any advice? Something local, yummy and with ambience?
Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM

you want to find a restaurant that is not in a guide book.... that means we read guide books....
Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

It really means I don't want to run into a lot of other tourists (I'd rather not "feel right at home")...and yes, I do read guide books. Or should I say, I refer to them. Why reinvent the wheel? After all, I get a lot of good advice from guide books. So do millions of other people. I'd rather not run into most of them, all from my part of the world, in what is supposed to be a restaurant frequented mostly by locals! I'll just pop into any place that strikes my fancy but if someone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM

I can't offer any suggestions jahlie, but I'm all ears to the responses you receive! Not sure what bilboburgler is on about because what you have mentioned is one of the main reasons for visiting this forum, to find out anything extra available aside from guide book recommendations(they can only provide so much information)!
Guide books are also great for initial ideas, and this forum assists in streamlining your visit to personal taste.
Aug 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM

my point is I don't know what guide books say so I will not know what is not in them.

Still let's put it back at the top and see what ideas others have
Aug 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Enjoyed scallops some years ago at the Captain Cook in St. Jean Cap Ferat. Don't know if it was in a guide book or full of tourists or not!
Aug 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM

When you say you don't want to run into a lot of other tourists, I suspect you mean Americans. Because if it were full of French tourists, would you care or would you know? Most restaurants of any size in Provence, even in a small town, are going to be in some guidebook, such as Michelin or Gayot, that's just a fact.
Aug 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM

In the Nice Hinterland I can recommend 2 places that will somewhat fit your requirements (but I don't think they serve seafood). L'Augerge de la Madonne is in a guide book. I have no idea if the first resto is in some guide book - I'll let you research this.

Fleur des Alpes hotel in La Brigue
L’Auberge de la Madonne in Peillon
Aug 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM

We've been happy over several visits in the past 17 years at Le Comptoir de La Mer on the croisette, near the Carlton, in Cannes.

Beyond that, we have found that an unfailing source of good information on local restaurants anyplace in France are the wine merchants. We have never been steered wrong, and have found many wonderful locals places all over the country with that kind of inquiry.
Aug 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Jeff801 I would have never thought of that! What a great idea. I'll have to try it out.

Hopingtotravel - I Love Cap Ferat but since we spent time there a couple of years ago, I'm no sure we will revisit this time. I will, however add your suggestion to my "restaurant" list. Thanks. Last time we were in the area we traveled the area from Nice to Monaco, exploring pretty thoroughly. We also traveled through Province to St. Paul de Vence. This time I want to explore Eze and other areas in that area "above" the Riviera. We can also drive into Italy ( not too far because everything will be day trips from Nice). My husband can't wait to drive those twisty little roads!! Traveling east along the coast is another option but I think we will take public transportation for that.

Adrienne- thank you. I'll take your suggestions along.

bilboburgler - thanks for clarifying and I hope this forum is as helpful for you as it is for me