Substitute for Seville

Search

Substitute for Seville

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Substitute for Seville

Ran myself crazy trying to find affordable accommodations for Seville, to no avail, so I have decided to give it the boot. I thought about going to Barcelona but I fly out of Madrid and really want to go to Granada for the Alhambra. I think that would be a little out of the way. Soooo.....long story short. Is there any where else that I can spend 4 days in May that is around the vicinity of Madrid and Granada?
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM

You've got to be able to get something for around 40 euros a night. There is no substitute for Seville but Cadiz, Ronda, Malaga, Antequera are nice too.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

i have tried relentlessly! i've checked hotels, b&bs, some hostels and the only ones left are either way outside the city center or completely rundown with terrible reviews.

I think right now I am between Malaga or Valencia. Any advice on either location?
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM

If Granada is your top destination, then Malaga. BTW, WHEN are you going? Is 40 Euros/single your upper limit?
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM

Antequera is a surprisingly nice town which we enjoyed very much. It also happens to be located in between Sevilla and Granada, and has excellent freeway access to both. It might be worthwhile to look into accomodations there. We found it to be a very affordable in general.

kanadajin
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

I'll be there the first week of may 2011. i'm trying to stay under 100/night for 2 people. i really thought planning ahead would make it easier but it seems like everyone else had the same idea.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM

For info, we paid less than 100 Euros per night for 2 persons(I am presuming you are talking about Euros as the currency unit), and we were staying at the newly renovated Parador, which we really enjoyed. I believe we managed to obtain the Tarifa Unica at around 70 or 75 Euros if my memory serves me right. Looking at your dates, this type of discount rate may not be posted this far in advance, however.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

my b/f has decided that he really does not want to miss Seville so we are shortening our trip here 1 day and I managed to find a place outside of the city center. The Novotel Seville for about 75E/night. Got decent reviews and this way we can add 1 day to Granada. Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

I know I'm very late to this discussion, but I've stayed a number of times in the very basic Hotel Simon in Sevilla. Great location, quiet, small rooms. If you go to their website and plug in the days you want, if they are booked, the site gives you other options. So I'm not sure which days in May you are looking for, but I played around with it a bit and always came up with availabilities even if the HOtel Simon didn't have rooms. Just go to this website and click on Seville bookings. L.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM

oops, forgot to include the website:

http://www.hotelsimonsevilla.com/index.php/reservas
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM

You've had problems finding a place to stay in Sevilla in the beginning of May 2011 because the spectacular Feria de Abril (spring fair) will take place in the beginning of May this year due to the late Easter celebrations. The Feria is extended into ten days and will start on the 30th of April to maintain the "connextion" to April.

Your hotel will be 10 mins walk to the Cathedral and the beautiful and touristy Santa Cruz district (historic center). Recommend you to also visit the area the sevillanos themselves call centre north/north-west of the Santa Cruz area. Apart for the obvious tourist attractions in Santa Cruz, the Arenal/Centro/San Lorenzo districts are far more interesting; more local tapas bars, cafés, restaurants, nightlife etc.

But during your stay, very much will gravitate around the Feria de Abril. Enjoy!
http://www.andalucia.com/festival/seville-feria.htm
http://www.spanishunlimited.com/spai...riadeabril.asp
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

oh wow!! i guess it's good timing on my part. i was aware of the spring fair but i thought i was going to be missing it. do you think i will have trouble finding a flight from venice to seville during this time?? i will be flying out sat. the 29.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:35 AM

Oh the Feria! That explains it, hotel prices skyrocket.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:37 AM

Should be no problem, plenty of options on http://www.momondo.com/
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM

You are going during a very special time. Feria is the biggest time of year for the Sevillanos and even though it takes place outside the city center in private family tents, you will get to enjoy a lot of the festive atmosphere and really see their strong culture. You might even get invited by someone if you're lucky. I hope you like to party into the wee hours.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

we're young but i don't know about the wee hours. but you know what they say..when in rome! well...seville in my case. now i'm just sad because i can only stay for 3 days!!