Stuttgart Advice Needed, Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Stuttgart in October to attend a photography workshop being run by a friend.

Our first two nights will be spent in Tubingen (where our friend lives).

From there we'll be travelling to Inzigkofen, where the workshop will be held (within a beautiful old abbey).

We then have two nights free before our flight home.

First question is whether or not I'm right to stay in Stuttgart for those two nights or should be looking at somewhere else? (We won't be renting a car so will be reliant on public transport).

Second question is: if we do stay in Stuttgart, can anyone recommend specific hotels and also give us advice on which districts of the city to favour/ avoid?

Any advice much appreciated.

PS In terms of hotel we haven't got an absolutely fixed budget but would prefer to keep it below 150 Euros a night if possible, including breakfast. We do like spacious and comfortable rooms, preferably with both tub and shower in the bathroom rather than shower only. Not too fussed about pool. Definitely don't care about gyms. For us, attractiveness (and cleanliness) and amenities of room together with location within the city are more important. We aren't big walkers (I have hip problems) so either need to be central to main attractions or well placed to use public transport.

THANK YOU!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM

There is a guy over on Trip Advisor who is about as passionate about Stuttgart as I am about Frankfurt. He has tons of information about the city and the surrounding area. His name is Marco, so I would post your question over there. You will be sure to get accurate answers.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mainhattengirl, I have cross-posted on the Tripadvisor forum already, I think his username is marcopolo or something like that. Am hoping he'll respond.

I recall there being a couple of Stuttgart people here too, someone who lived there for a couple of years and people who have visited often.

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Do a search here on Fodors and look for posts from "hausfrau". She lived in Stuttgart and has posted lost of information.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I did that before posting and have found lots of great info but nothing recent focusing on districts/hotels.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
DAX

I've stayed at several hotels in downtown Stuttgart for conferences. It is convenient to stay near the train station (nice safe area) to take the S or U bahn to reach the different suburbs,nearby cities & airport.

If you are looking to minimize walking, the 4 star Graf Zeppelin Hotel is right across the street from the train station. www.steinberger.com. They have premium & standard rooms with really great service & staff. They even have premium rooms designed for women (better amenities and women magazines in the room). There is a good german restaurant on the first floor as well as good breakfast buffet on the second floor if you're too tired to go out. You can easily reach the train station through the underground shopping complex below the main boulevard (with escalators). The hotel is at the edge of the downtown shopping area which is dotted with museums, church, castles and other tourist attractions. There is a lot to do & see in downtown.

The second best 4 star hotel is Am Schlossgarten, just further east(walk)from the Graf Zeppelin with comparably good location but the rooms/suites are worse & older. The one hotel to avoid is the Intercity Hotel even though the building is attached to the train station.
The best 5 star hotel is Le Meridien, but it's quite a walk from the station/downtown area with stair climbing to cross a busy highway via a pedestrian bridge.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Fabulous, this is extremely helpful, Dax, thank you. (Especially the info on the busy road/ stairs for crossing).
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM

Kavey, I used to go for work years ago and do not know hotels but I really enjoyed the main shopping district and found it a lovely city to wander at a leisurely pace. The S/U bahn was easy and so great to use as well. we had some lovely meals in the city centre. I always like to eat in an Italian restaurant when in germany becausse outside of Italy Germans do a pretty good job with Italian food. Even my German friend feel the same saying they love Italian food there. I was surprised how much i actually like all the food in Germany. Enjoy the trip!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Siobhan!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Dax, is that the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin that you're referring to?
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

OK well, we had a sudden change of heart in that we decided to splurge. I spent a couple of hours just now looking through the tripadvisor top 12, reading the reviews, mapping my shortlist onto Google Maps (using My Maps) so I could compare locations and then checking what prices were available.

I narrowed it down to Le Meridien, City Hotel (recommended by MarcoPolko on tripadvisor forums) and Arcotel Carmino.

As our accommodations in Tubingen and Ingowhatsit won't be particularly lux I had a mad moment and went for Le Meridien! I had read about city view rooms (noisy) versus park or courtyard view rooms (quiet) but only city view were coming up on their online res system (checked the discount sites first, no joy). Called their UK number for international res first - spoke to was useless so called hotel directly. 200 Euros per night for deluxe courtyard room including breakfast. More than had initially planned but, what the heck!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Kavey,

I booked the Meridian for the end of September for 8 days and was able to get the same room with breakfast for 166 euros through 1 800 hotels. I also was able to pay them in US $$ which locked in the rate for the ever-changing, rising of the euro. I initially booked directly with the hotel but was unhappy paying in euros. You may want to call them......
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cinzia
Who is 1 800 hotels? Are they a hotel booking service?
THANKS
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM
DAX

Kavey,
Le Meridien is indeed the nicest 5 star but FYI location wise it's really awkward if you intend to stroll into downtown Stuttgart because the highway like boulevard makes a physical barrier and it's quite a boring walk. There is not much around Le Meridien itself. I only stay at Le Meridien when I take my whole family because we take taxis everywhere, but when I'm alone I prefer staying at the Graf Zeppelin since it's right smack in the downtown shopping area, so much more convenient plus it's right across the street from the train station & S bahn.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dax...
The Graf Z was coming out waaaay waaaay more than even the Meridien so I ruled it out but can look again for lower prices nearer time and cancel the Meridien booking!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM
hsv

I did not have any noise issues in a city view room of the Le Meridien. Maybe if you opened the windows - otherwise fine.
The rooms are quite nice in fact.
I agree with DAX about the location being just a bit out of the way from the centre, but not far enough to really bother me.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi Kavey,
Guess you got most of your questions answered before I found your post. I'm the one who lived in Stuttgart for a couple years. I agree with DAX (who has more Stuttgart hotel experience than I do) that the Meridien is a little awkward in terms of location, but it's not the end of the world. You're still in the middle of the city, just a bit farther from restaurants and the Koenigstrasse (main shopping street). However, if you do happen upon a better rate at the Graf Zeppelin, take it! My husband stayed there on business before we moved to Stuttgart.

It sounds like you've found some of my posts about things to do in the city...If you have any other questions just let me know. (Photography workshop in October in Germany...I'm very jealous!!)
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Great, thank you SO much...
I will keep an eye out on Graf rates for sure!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Quick update:
I couldn't find any confirmation email from the Meridien, infact I don't recall ever getting it, so I pulled out the piece of paper on which I wrote down details and confirmation number when I made the booking and called to check.
And somehow, my deluxe courtyard room including breakfast was down as room only, absolutely nothing on the booking to show that I'd been offered breakfast rate.
Hmmmf, annoying as no proof that it was ever otherwise.
So I had another look at the Graf Zeppelin site (as I've done a couple of times since) and found that the rate had dropped and I was able to book a king size double room for 330 Euros (room only) for the two nights. That's 165 Euros a night.
Breakfast is expensive, should we decide to go for it, it's 22 Euros per person, but we can decide that at the time.
I'm very pleased.
I will now phone to cancel the Meridien booking!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh, that's a superior room at the Graf, so I think it will compare fairly with the deluxe at the Meridien. To be honest, as long as the room is comfortable, with good bathroom, nicely furnished, I'm sure it will be fine. And location, as you've advised, is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -