Studying Spanish in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about taking a two-week Spanish course in Barcelona. I wanted to go to Barcelona because I didn't see it the first time I was in Spain, but I was wondering how much Catalan I'd encounter. I want to go somewhere where I will be able to immerse myself in Spanish. I have a low-intermediate knowledge of Spanish right now.

Would you recommend Barcelona for a Spanish course?

Any schools you'd recommend in Barcelona or elsewhere in Spain? I'd rather not go to Madrid or Seville since I have been to both.

Finally, how's the weather in Barcelona at the end of October. I've checked the historical date but there was no info on rain.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Barcelona is almost entirely Catalan speaking. Spanish is their official second language but you won't hear it around that much. It is a great city but not a good place to study spanish. I would suggest any other areas in spain but don't know of any specific school. Do stay out catalan speaking area's if your trying to learn spanish. I think it will confuse you.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:59 PM

I have twice Attended Sociedad Hispano Mundial in Granada for 2-3 week courses and hope to go back this fall. It's run by very good people and a great way to travel. Do a search and you will find it.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:48 AM

Last year, I've studied Spanish with don Quijote in Salamanca. Salamanca is a great city and my Spanish really improved!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:46 PM

Yes, Jack31 is right about Barcelona. I definitely would feel the need to learn Catalan as well as Spanish if I lived there.

Salamanca is a beautiful town & the number of students helps keep the prices down. You might also want to look into the Instituto Alhambra in Malaga (they also have a school in Salamanca, I think).