Study Abroad Aug-December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three students planning our study abroad trip beginning in August to Harlaxton in Gratham, England. On the weekend we have the opportunity to go wherever we want. If anyone has tips, advice, packing help, or anything else please let us know. We are going to Paris and Versailles, Ireland, London, Berlin to Deseau, Prague, Rome, and Spain. We would appreciate any of it since we are kind of overwhelmed right now. THANKS!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 12:20 PM

More info please!

How long in each city? What is your budget? Will you be taking trains to each city, or flying? Do you have an itinerary?

We can give you a lot of great advice, but first we need to know more about you, your traveling companions, and your trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Just to clarify, are you making several weekend trips over 5 months from England to the Continent and Ireland?
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 12:49 PM

I too am assuming you are making separate trips and you are not visiting all these places in one trip. Is this correct?
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

We are taking weekend trips over the course of our stay.

September 26-29 is Rome
October 2-6 is Germany
October 10-13 is Prague
October 17-20 is Barcelona
October 24-27 is London
November 31-3 is Ireland
November 13-17 is France

In Germany we want to see Berlin then Dessau then Frankfort. We would like to see a concentration camp also during this time. In Dessau is the Bauhaus which is a graphic design place for me I want to see.

In Prague and Barcelona we really want a nice relaxing weekend. We hear it is beautiful and really have no itinerary of where we would like to be or really see right now. We really want to experience the culture.

In Ireland we thought we would fly into dublin and see the halloween festival that is that night. The next day we would want to go to see the Blarney stone and then go to Galway. We would also like to visit the Aran Islands.

In France we would like to see Paris and Versailles. We also thought is would be cool to go to the beaches of normandy.

We would like to stay under $350 in each place. We figured we would fly to each country since we thought it would be the cheapest but we are open to venture new things. We are three 21 year olds who want to experience the culture of each city more than being tourist. We want to take the most from our experience their especially since all the money is coming from multiple jobs this summer. I hope this is more information to help out.
Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM

>>><i>November 31-3 is Ireland - In Ireland we thought we would fly into dublin and see the halloween festival that is that night. The next day we would want to go to see the Blarney stone and then go to Galway. We would also like to visit the Aran Islands.</i>

Ugh. So just one *night* in Dublin? For a Halloween Party, of all things? Then off to kiss the Blarney Stone, Galway and The Aran Islands? IMO, stay in Dublin, maybe a day trip to Galway. The Islands will be cold and ferries won't go out there in bad weather anyway.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Where's StCirq? Come help!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM

>>><i>We would like to stay under $350 in each place.</i>

Please tell me you mean $350 EACH.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:20 PM

>>><i> ...who want to experience the culture of each city more than being tourist</i>

Your posts about Ireland and France tell me otherwise.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Hi, Doppio. I'm on the other thread.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM

StCirq, maybe we should keep it all on this thread? Since the questions are all the same, really. Otherwise we will end up with 7 threads, one for each trip.

Just curious what you think about the other trips here in this thread - budget, etc.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM

What I think is, if they've only got $350 for each trip and that includes transportation back and forth to Grantham each time, it's just about impossible. It would be smarter to save up those increments of $350 for one longer trip, to eliminate the back and forth to England. Just stay an extra 3+ weeks at the end of the study period.

There's nothing wrong with the places they're going, but they don't seem to have done any research of their own on what's to do and see, or what the actual costs would be. It's all "we've heard that...." and "we'd like to do it for $350..." They need to hit the guidebooks and look at maps and figure out transportation and the logistics. But the destinations themselves are fine.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Agree StCirq. Thanks for chiming in. You've always been a big help and I always value your advice here - even when I'm not the one taking the trip!

I think a reality check is in order for these young travelers. Great idea to save up those increments of $350 for one longer trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Imagine you're from England and you're staying in Los Angeles for a few months, and each weekend, taking a trip. Las Vegas one weekend (then back to LA), then Seattle the next weekend (then back to LA), then Oregon the next weekend then Chicago, then Austin, etc, etc.. People would never think of doing that. Ever. You would travel in an itinerary going one place to the next, in an order that would make sense for your time and budget.

All the back and forth seems like a lot of time and money wasted.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:55 PM

I also think that while I know you want to see a lot of stuff while you are over in Europe, anyway, doing only weekend trips every single weekend to all these places is going to be really expensive. And spend a lot of time going back and forth, as well as the air fare. Yes, I know you can get some cheap fares on Easyjet or something, but I wonder if these places have been chosen for that reason. It still is going to eat up a lot of money.

But, if there is no way around that, I personally don't see anything wrong with going to Dublin for some local special events, that's what people do for memorable experiences. I have never heard Halloween in Dublin is amazing, but maybe it is -- someone wouldn't disparage people for going to Carnival in Venice, I wouldn't imagine, or NY eve in Edinburgh, or something like that.

Having said that, I have just done some googling and can find no evidence that Halloween in Dublin is some amazing event. I have found out that Edinburgh is considered to have a fairly good Halloween, so go there instead if you want some event atmosphere. And it coincides with a Gaelic holiday, Samhain or Samhuinn, which I guess is why the big deal in Ireland, if any, but it was revived in Edinburgh. So it is more of an event there, not in Dublin.

Edinburgh is a cool city, anyway, you should go there, it is a lot closer than some of these other places. This is some info on that event last year http://www.edinburghguide.com/events/samhuinn
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Have you planned how to get from Harlaxton Manor to all those places or are the trips pre-arranged by the uni?

also why decide to study in England then leave at every weekend?
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM

If you want to go to all these places each weekend that's fine and I wouldn't discourage anyone from traveling. But don't kid yourself you won't be anything other than a tourist, wandering round taking photographs.

If you want to experience the culture of anywhere you need to stick around. You've decided to study in England; great so you should experience England. Go to Lincoln, Cambridge, Norfolk, the Peak District, and there's enough to see in London to last you a lifetime.

At the end of your studies then spend a few months travelling to all the places on your list. That's when you'll get most out of your time. At the moment you're just ticking boxes.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM

IMO, you are making a mistake planning a trip away every single weekend. Don't you want to do things with the friends you are going to make in the program and get to know the area you will be living in?

You can do these trips on the cheap if you couchsurf and hostels, but even hostels are getting expensive these days, and the good ones can get booked up.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:33 PM

There is nothing out of the ordinary about study abroad students taking advantage of their long weekends to travel to different places. I would make several suggestions: consider using some of your weekends to visit places in England; there is so much to see there. Go to the forums at Lonely Planet; there you will find people your age and in similar situations, and you will get advice that is more appropriate for what you are doing, although you should certainly consider what you get here, also. Finally, if you do some online research, you will find tons of information posted by previous study abroad students directing you toward budget transportation, lodging, etc., and you can probably find a lot of information from previous students at your school in Harlaxton which will be of great help, also. Have a great time!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM

<<There is nothing out of the ordinary about study abroad students taking advantage of their long weekends to travel to different places>>

Of course not. But there's nothing ordinary about having only $350 to get yourself from the UK to the Continent for 4 days every weekend and expect it to cover the entirety of your costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -