students in Rome


Aug 21st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
students in Rome

Hello. My daughter will be studying in Rome for 4 months, and we are still undecided about two issues. First, we are undecided between cell phone and calling card. We have a cell phone plan which is more inexpensive than most as it is for students, yet, it is still more costly apparently than the phone cards purchased in Italian shops. Our concern is access. We want her to be able to call a friend who will be studying at a nearby university (not the same as hers) and have access in case of emergency. Any experiences retold would help.
Secondly, we renmain confused by adaptors/transformers. Her hairdryer used 1200 watts. I believe she needs a transformer, not just an adaptor. Is it easier and cheaper to buy a hairdryer in Italy than to buy a transformer here? Will she readily find a hairdryer - she is a young woman after all.... and..... enough said?
Thanks in advance for your help. Any other tips for students would be welcomed!
exreport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:29 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 171
Before your daughter leaves the ROme Airport have her stop in th eelectrical store and et a hair dryer (she can get one for $15) and then stop in the phone store and get a cheap cell pohone. Your one from home will be too expensive to be quite honest. She could easily get a phone with euro 25 of time on it for euro 80. To call home she should get a Europe Card (or something like that) at the tobacconist or newsagents. I think they are euro 10 for 100 minutes to the US. HTH

siena_us is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:36 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,892
Dear exreport,

I financed a semester abroad for my Godchild recently. Make sure your daughter has a World Phone. It's worth every cent in security.

Yes you'll NEED a transformer for her US hairdryer and a heavy one at that. FORGET ABOUT IT! Have her purchase a blow dryer there. Not only is it cost effective, it's very luggage-weight-restriction effective. Plus, she'll always have it for future trips abroad and she'll love you for that.
NYCFoodSnob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:44 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,689
I live in Swizterland, and it is actually cheaper and easier to buy a dual voltage dryer right now in the US. Linens n' Things has dual-voltage hairdryers advertised. You can also buy them on-line, check out, or run a search on your browser for "dual voltage hair dryer". I bought one 3 years ago for $15 and am still using it today. A dyrer does not take up a lot of weight or room in a suitcase so is unlikely to put her over the weight limite. Most consumer goods are more expensive in Europe and she may not recognize the brands. Most importantly, the instructions and warranty will be in Italian and maybe other European languages, but unlikely to be in English.

I assume you have checked on health insurance coverage for your daughter while outside the US. You may also want to get her a credit card (although all college kids seem to have one these days. . .)
Cicerone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
Thank you all very much for the advice. This is a new experience for us; I am hoping to visit her in Italy as a first for me too! I have checked out the health insurance; we purchased extra coverage through the Italian University and found our coverage will cover international travel.
Our daughter will be e1uipped with 2 ATM cards - her account and our joint account, and a credit card. I am told ATMs are accesible. Do you agree? Also, she will have some travel checques. Any other suggestions? I much appreciate input!! THank you.
exreport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,432
ATMs are everywhere. I would have her get a mobile phone. She will definitely want one once she sees that everyone there has one. Sending SMS & email from the phones is also possible, so she won't need to blow big bucks everytime she wants to say hi. What a great opportunity she has to study there! Good luck..
amp322 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 73,829

>..Our daughter will be equipped with 2 ATM cards - her account and our joint account...<

I suggest that for safety, you open a separate "emergency fund" account for her and do not send her off with your ATM card.

You can transfer funds to her account as needed.
ira is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:24 AM.