Strippenkart or day tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know whether it would be cheaper to pay via strippenkart or purchase the day ticket. Any advice?

Does anyone know what the breakeven would be? ie how many trips (and zones) to take that will be costing the same as a day ticket?

I'll be based in The Hague and taking the train into Amsterdam (to the Centraal station I think). Places that I'd like to visit are Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank huis, Rembranthuis, Van Loon museum, huitsyen (can't spell... it's a canal house) museum, Jordaan, Dam Square, Benginjof, vondelpark and a few more.
Not all in one day of course ... over 3 days.

Appreciate your advice
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Take your question over to Cruise Critic message boards. Go to the Europe section and INE will answer your question. She lives in the NL and is extremely knowledgable.
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:38 AM

A 15-strip card is €6.80, which equals 7 trips of up to an hour each in the central Amsterdam zone. A one-day card is €6.50, a three-day card €13.50 = two 15-strip cards. Do you think you'd be making 14 trip-hours in the time you're in Amsterdam?

I believe the strippenkaart is usable nationwide, so that if you have one in the Hague, you can use a few of the strips in Amsterdam, and vice versa. You could check this with the transport authorities in The Hague.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM

We used the strippenkart to go by tram from Delft to Den Hague, for the bus from the airport to Haarlem and inside of Amsterdam also.

For the trip from Den Hague to Amsterdam we needed to buy train tickets though, not strippenkart. Those are for the trams and the buses.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM

But I suspect Patrick meant the strippenkart is good for busses and trams in other cities in the Netherlands. Right? Gee. I never ever knew that and have always bought separate tickets when doing day trips to other cities. So is PatrickLondon right? I can use the same strippenkart when we go to Hague or Rotterdam?
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:31 AM

A strippenkaart is the national system in the Netherlands for paying for bus, tram and metro journeys.
The whole country is divided into zones. For any journey, you cancel one strip plus one strip for each zone you pass through. For example, if your journey is across three zones, you must cancel four strips on your ticket. Within those zones, you can travel on as many buses or trams as you need within the specified time period.
These are the validity times on the strip I bought last year:
2-4 strips - one hour;
5-7 strips - one and a half hours;
8-10 strips - two hours;
11-16 strips - three hours;
17-20 strips - three and a half hours (which is the maximum).
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant!! Strippenkart is THE way to go.. and no, I don't think I'll be doing 14-hour trips on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM

What is the current rate for a 3 day strippenkart/Pass and how do we know where the Zones change?
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM

A strippenkaart is not valid per days, but you buy a number of strips which you then stamp off per journey. If you ask the driver they will stamp off the right number for you. Once stamped that stays valid for a set length of time. So you may be able to do a second journey without re-stamping or you may have to re-stamp if you go over your time.

It is explained here (with prices):
http://tinyurl.com/39z4z2

More than one person can use the same card - you just stamp the appropriate number of strips per person.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM

Hetismij,
Thankyou again for providing such important infromation. I think I just learned all I need to know about canal rides, trams, buses, museums cards etc. There is a wealth of information once reaching tinycurl.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Here is an excellent website to introduce you to Amsterdam.
http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/