stresa

Mar 19th, 2002, 11:13 PM
shula

stresa

hello. i need help on three subjects.1. doe's anyone know the hotel Milan Speranza Au Lac ? 2. can i go easily with a bus to Lake Orta for the day (i don't drive). 3. if i want to do the stresa-Domodossola-centovalli train-locarno-stresa. which round is the easiest? and do i buy planed tickets for he whole trip before or just go and hope to get back ? thank you. shula

Mar 20th, 2002, 06:46 AM
GAC

1. The Milano Speranza au Lac are actually two hotels separated by an alleyway. The Milano is the more charming, wheareas the Speranza au Lac newer and much less appealing architecturally. Price are common for both, and they have common management and restaurant facilities. They are 4-star properties with air conditioning, but are not considered the "top" hotels in town. They are located nearly across the square from the Imbarcadero where you board ferries for the Isole Borromee, and the bus for Lake Orta and other points on Lake Maggiore. Extremely convenient, but apt to be a bit noisy. The Regina Palace, Astoria, La Palma, Bristol and Grand Hotel des Isles Borromees are further north along the promenade, but Lake-facing rooms of even these are apt to be noisy.

2. During the summer, there is a public bus (Fontaneto Lines) leaving Stresa for Orta San Giulio at 9 or 10 a.m., returning in the late afternoon. Ticket costs less than 5 Euros round-trip. This gives you about 7 hours on Lake Orta (plenty of time). The bus does not operate on Sundays. There is also a weekly (or bi-weekly) organized bus tour which goes from Stresa to Orta San Giulio and return. It obviously costs much more (25 Euros?), but takes only a half-day. The hotel will be able to tell you the day(s) of the week when the tour operates. You can also VIEW Lake Orta from the top of the Mottarone mountain by taking the funicular from the Stresa Lido (20 Euros round-trip) You reach the funicular via an extremely pleasant and scenic 25 minute walk from the Imbarcadero along the Lakefront promenade.

3. This tour is widely advertised in the travel agencies in town as well as at the ticket booth at the Imbarcadero. You can purchase a joint bus/train/boat ticket which will complete the entire itinerary in one full day. It is basically packaged as an independent day tour. Ask the hotel to mail you the brochure.

Any other questions?

Mar 20th, 2002, 06:56 AM
shula

thank you so much for your detailed answer. it is difficult to deside between the view and the noise. probably chose the view.

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Dayle

Hi Shula! If you want views & quiet, I recommend the Hotel Verbano on Isola dei Percatori. See my "Quilty & Ashamed Italy Report".

Buon viaggio!

Mar 21st, 2002, 05:39 AM
shula

the hotel Verbano sounds lovely but as i am travelling alone i prefer to be in the village. doe's anyone know how much will be a taxi from Malpensa, or alternatively the way with the least walking any carrying my suicase (the only thing in traveling alone that i still find difiicult,and - yes i have wheels). thank you all. shula

Mar 21st, 2002, 06:38 AM
Judi

Hi Shula,
We stayed at the Milano Speranza Au Lac in the Milano; I agree that it's the better of the two. We had a lovely blue and white street facing room with balcony. It was not especially noisy but we were there in April. I liked its central location and it was reasonable in price. We enjoyed our stay in Stresa.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:42 PM
shula

one more question. how much will be a taxi from Malpensa, or alternatively what is way with the least walking and need to carry my suicase (the only thing in traveling alone that i still find dificult,and - yes i have wheels but still...). thank you all. shula

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:23 AM
GAC

A taxi will cost about $75. You can also take the local train to Gallarate and then the frequent shuttle bus to the Malpensa main terminal.

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:57 AM
shula

so one more question now. i know there is a cable car to mount
mattorone but was told that it is quite far from there to the alpine
garden. i love to use local buses. is there regular transportation
from stresa to mattrone-alpin garden-umbrela museum ? and is there a
frequet bus connection to Orta and buses along the lake. i am going middle
of May and it might still be quite slow with local excursions. it is very easy to find information on trains and boats but nothing on local buses. thank
you all again. shula

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
GAC

You can consult bus schedules in the Piemonte REgion of Italy (which includes the west shore of Lake Maggiore) by consulting the website www.lastampa.it