Notices

Streets Filled with Water

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streets Filled with Water

Very balkly PC here. In Delft now. Head to A'dam tomorrow.

So far:

Loved Colgne/Odenthal, Vianden, Brugge. Delft is worth the time we've spent here, but not up there with Brugge.

Best experiences so far: Our friend Toni is a pilot--flew us over Cologne Dom after he had seen it from ground level. And Trees and Willy--hosts of the B&B Marieke in Brugge.

Worst: First time in my life got real sick while traveling--so I couldn't even stand the thought of drinking a beer for the entire Luxembourg part of the trip and all but our last day in Belgium!! What a bummer.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Hi Rufus,
So sorry to hear you became ill and hope Mrs. Fly is taking good care of you. Looking forward to reading your trip report when you return. Now concentrate on getting well!!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:25 PM

No beer? Say it ain't so!

Get well soon, Rufus.

And kudos for an excellent thread title.

Anselm
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mr Firefly, you deserve a great trip. Take care.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM

The thread title was originally contained in a telegram from American humorist Robert Benchley to his editor.

ARRIVED VENICE STOP STREETS FILLED WITH WATER STOP PLEASE ADVISE STOP
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Slowly shaking off the jet lag--I never have trouble going west to east, but coming back home from Europe is always a bummer.

Anyway, for a start, we were pleased with our accomodations:

1. Vianden, Luxembourg--2 nights at the Hotel Heintz. A very pleasant family hotel on the road going up the hill to the castle. We had one of the more expensive rooms (90 euros a night including parking, breakfast, taxes). The restaurant is very good--excellent trout.

Room was spacious as was the bathroom--we actually had a large sitting room with TV and a separate bed chamber. Has an elevator. http://www.hotel-heintz.lu/english/index.html

2. Bruges, Belgium--3 nights at B&B Marieke. Our host and hostess, Willy and Trees, made this place one of our favorites. It is a B&B, not a hotel, so rooms are smaller (there are only 2 guestrooms), but certainly adequate. Could be difficult for folks who have trouble with stairs--it is a typical old townhome with steep winding stairs. One room is on the first floor (the one above the ground floor) and one on the second floor.

Trees and Willy are great hosts and will do anything to make your visit to their city fun, educational, and trouble free. Trees was always giving us tastes of various Flemish dishes and Willy even copied our photos onto a CD for us and let us use the PC to check email.

Location is very good--about a 10 minute stroll to the center of town. The house is on a canal and not in the center of traffic and tourist noise. A real bargain at 60 euro a night including a good breakfast and parking.
http://users.belgacom.net/marieke/

3. Delft, Netherlands--2 nights at the Hotel Leeuwenbrug. Old building with modernized rooms. Very comfortable. We paid 90 euro the first night and 74 the second night (a weekend night). Did not include breakfast or parking. Public parking lot is one building away--9 euro a day. On a canal, has an elevator.

Good location--out of the tourist bustle, but only 10 minutes walk from the main square. Had separate shower and tub in the bathroom. TV. http://www.leeuwenbrug.nl/index_eng.html

4. Amsterdam, Netherlands--Maes B&B. Ken and Vlad are great hosts, and they have a beautiful facility. Much like the B&B Marieke in Bruges, this is an old townhouse so it has steep, winding stairs.

Great location about a 5 or 10 minute walk (depending on how much you gawk along the way) from a tram stop that gets you to many of the major sights in the city. Dozens of restaurants, cafes, etc. of all sorts within a 15 minute walk. Anne Frank house an easy walk.

Very good breakfast, attentive service. Vlad and Ken are very knowledgeable and are willing to give any advice a visitor might need from transportation to sights to dining. We paid 80 euro the first night for a smaller room with private bath in the hall (they provide a robe). 95 euro a night the next 2 nights for a larger room with ensuite bath.

It was hot in Amsterdam, so I was concerned about the lack of air conditioning, but we stayed out so late at night that it didn't matter.

They arranged our taxi to the airport--30 euro including tip.
http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com

I didn't include our stay in Odenthal near Cologne as we stayed with friends.

Tomorrow I'll either start the actual "touring" report, or give some dining recommendations. We generally spent in the range of 30 to 45 euro for dinner for the two of us including drinks and tips.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Actually I think I'll start a new thread so people can see this deals with Benelux. Streets Filled With Water doesn't give people a lot to go on if their looking for info on specific destinations.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Yes, Rex will love you.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Thanks for those links and your comments, we will be staying in Amsterdam and Brugge next year and they both look perfect.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Rufus, thanks for posting, looking forward to the rest. Wasn't Vianden wonderful?

Budman: Yes Rex should be so pleased, lol!!