Water levels in Venice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm officially panicked. Saw a picture in the paper yesterday of kids in wellies splashing around St. Mark's Square in Venice. Paper said water is 39 inches high, expected to go to 43. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?? Does it mean all of St. Mark's is underwater? For how long? Is this just at high tide? When is high tide and low tied in late October? (We will be in Venice on the 19th and 20th of October.)

Do we waste suitcase weight to bring wellies? Or take our chances?

THANKS!!
Paula
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Hi sarge56

Don't panic. Water levels come and go. Here's an article from veniceword that may be helpful:

<i>&quot;Centro Maree forecasts the level day by day, summarized by tables and graphs. Here is how to read them:
- if the water level in St.Mark's basin is 65-68 cms., expect to find some water on the ground in front of St.Marks' church entrance. Important: do not think you'll see water 65 cms. high in St.Mark's square: this measure refers to the sea level.
- if the level is up to 85, expect some big puddles in St.Mark's square and in some &quot;calli&quot; (streets) in Venice. The middle area of St.Mark's square will be dry, as it is not perfectly flat. Wear water-proof boots!
- at 90 cms., St.Mark's square will be a lake of salty water. Some vaporettos (public boats) routes will be cancelled and alternative routes will be used. This is because they won't be able to pass under some bridges. Quite a confusion at boat stops. Lower areas in Venice can be accessed via special &quot;walkways&quot;
- at 110 cms, you'll hear sirens: this informs population to get ready. Most shops and warehouse at ground floors are likely to be flooded.
- from 120 cms to 140 cms, Venetians will get worried. Important: again, do not think you'll see water 120 cms. high all around in the streets: this measure refers to the sea level. Acqua alta can result in a 50 cms. water in the streets: which is not little anyway.&quot;</i>

And here's the predicted levels for the next month:

http://tinyurl.com/2vhn8g

When you are in St. Mark's Square, standing in the square looking straight at the basilica, on your right just in back of the bell tower is a wall where the barometers and tidal gizmos hang. It's pretty cool to watch it fluctuate from day to day.

If it does happen that there is much water during your time, you will see platforms that they put up everywhere. Sort of an elevated sidewalk. Not super convenient, but better than walking in the water.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Extra high, high tides are at the new and full moon, so you'll be there at a good time.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I don't really understand the table cited; Kopp, can you help? For instance, we arrive on Oct. 11. For that day, and most others, there are &quot;tide set one&quot; and &quot;tide set two.&quot;

As I read it, high tide will be at 11:23 am, at .99 m. Isnt that 99 cms? Won't all of us in Venice that day be water logged? Is there something here I'm getting wrong?

Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Sargee...this is the site that I go to! I like to see the chart....
http://www2.comune.venezia.it/maree/en_previsione.asp
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Sorry, tuscanlifeedit, I don't know what &quot;tide set one&quot; or &quot;two&quot; means. I just look at the water levels. Remember, it comes in and goes out very quickly, at least in my experience. We did notice a bit of a smell when it was at high tide, but it was short-lived.

This is another tide chart that shows a graphic per month:

http://tinyurl.com/2qmbt7

Skip down to the 10th page (October), and you will see the high and low tide schedule.

We were there in April, so I went back to look at the tides during our time there. We had no water on the walkways, but the many steps that you see going down into the canal in various areas were covered over. The Ca' d'Oro (golden house) had the bottom floor covered with water. But the next day it was fine.

I really wouldn't be worried about it. Many of the hotels have water boots to loan if it's a real problem. It's just one of the very unique features of the lovely city of Venice.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Of course, we've always stayed in a hotel before, but not this time. This time we have an apartment. I guess I just won't worry about it too much. I've never been in October, and didn't even think about the new moon during our visit. We were just trying to get optimal vacation days and good airfare.

I am meeting clients and hope they are prepared. They're staying at a good hotel, but they don't seem to have much knowledge of what Venice might be like. Oh well, that's them. I wish I even had wellies! I dont really even have much of a need for really water proof boots. I have snow boots but they are NOT coming with me.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM

We are just back from Venice. On 9-26, it rained all morning. They had the planks up in St. Mark's Square. The Square was flooded, as were the side streets, and the wind was turning people's umbrellas inside out. The trashcans were full of broken umbrellas.In addition, it was a cold rain.The gondolas stopped running all day. By mid afternoon, it was partly sunny, and much of the standing water was gone. Many had on rubber boots, but the tourists went to their hotels to wait it out, or just got wet. I did see some plastic bag type wrappers being sold to go on over shoes. It rained steadily again on 9-27, and it didn't take long for standing puddles to develop. Interestingly, the moon was full, or very close to it. I'd take some cheap, lightweight rubber rain shoes, to be safe.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM

The great thing is that stylish Venetians, like other stylish Italians, wear their hip waders with elan and barely skip a beat.

If you have light, foldable and packable rubber boots to pull on (at least ankle high) then throw them in and don't worry about how theylook. Could conceivably come in handy. And you can always leave them behind to someone grateful to have them - even your hotel concierge may pass them on to the next guest.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks all! You've made me feel much better. Of course, they don't appear to have the chart completely fille din or both days we're there. But it looks like water levels should be fine in the afternoon and evening, which is great. Because we're not doing the Basilica until early afternoon.

Thanks again!!
Paula
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM
ira

&gt;Won't all of us in Venice that day be water logged? &lt;

No. Most of Venice is higher than San Marco.

I recommend bringing some trash bags to put on over your shoes and some good ole American Duck Tape.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM

Checking the tidal charts is helpful, but the acqua alta is caused by a variety of factors, including high tide, rain and wind. There can be &quot;flooding&quot; at less than the highest tide if there is heavy or constant rain and wind.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM

And indeed high tide is very different from one month to another. That pesky ol' moon ...

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM

&lt;&lt;Do we waste suitcase weight to bring wellies? &gt;&gt;

You can always wear them over ... or onto the plane, anyway. Great conversation starter in the Admiral's Club.