Search

Street view Paris? How?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street view Paris? How?

Hi,
I used to be able to get street view of Paris on pagesjaunes.fr. Haven't tried lately, and now I can't figure out how to do it. Any tips?
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM

I dunno, but you can get Streetview on Google Maps (or even better by downloading Google Earth).
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Click on "photos de villes" (left column) -- click on Paris (duh!). Enter an address. Each street number is clickable.

(I was photographed by a Mappy street view vehicle last week. Won't say at which intersection!)
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Yeah, Google maps is the way to go. I waste a lot of time at work virtually walking down the streets of Paris, Rome, Prague etc daydreaming......wishing I wasn't here.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I don't do it the way Kerouac suggst, I just do it the same old way I always have (as far as I can remember).

Whatever you are searching for, you will get a list of suspect businesses. Let's say you search for hotels in arr. 75014. You get a list. With each business or citation is a set of options at the bottom of the listing, one of which is "photo". You click on it. This is the street view. You also have the options of "plan" or vue aerienne or vue du ciel, etc.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM

I don't think OP means photos, but the view that lets you actually travel down the street as if you were walking it.

1. Go to Google
2. click on maps at the top of the page
3. type in a paris address, when the map appears with an indicator pointing to the address
4. click on the indicator a box will pop up over the spot with several options, one is street view, click on this one
5. use your mouse to scroll around in all directions then
6. click on the arrows by the road name and you will be able to walk along the street to check out the neighborhood.

I used this extensively when I was checking out apartments in Paris for our vacation last winter.

good luck
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Go to www.pagesjaunes.fr
For "Ou" entered "15 rue st louis en l'ile paris 75004"
Comes up with name of business
T
hen...
Select 'Plan' for a map
Select 'Itineraire' for Mappy directions to another place
Select 'Vue aerienne' for the satellite view
Select 'Vue du Ciel' for a bird's eye view
Select 'Vue 3D" for...3D, need glasses?
Select 'Photo' click on photos to move around.

They seem to have replaced the arrows with clicking on photos to go 'walking down the street'
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, DancingBear and rs899. My daughter just forwarded me her fall housing assignment, and I can't download Google Earth from my work computer. The Maps doesn't seem to give me a street view either.

Good to know about your method, Christina!

Now we have to look at all the Mappy intersections and guess which one is you, K. Thanks! I found 5 views of her building that way, and it looks like a nice quiet street.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Celticharper. I'll use that method when I can get Google street view. I'd been resisting it so far.

Nice, Michel_Paris. Amazing what you can do there. Thanks, all.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM

In Google Maps, you drag the little man figure on the left tool bar into the map to wherever you want to open up Streetview, and it will open up the panoramic picture at that location.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM

<<<I waste a lot of time at work virtually walking down the streets of Paris, Rome, Prague etc daydreaming......wishing I wasn't here.>>>

Hahaha! rs899, I did the same for Sydney! I was looking around the city one evening and the next thing I know it was 3am!! I will get there one day but it wont be in the next couple of years. So little yellow man does it for me!
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Whoa, the little yellow man! Excellent! Thanks, DBMD.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
sap

I LOVE the little yellow man with his dangling rag-doll legs. You can also move him around the smaller screen on the lower right to change locations more quickly (from street to street) instead of zooming out of the "big" map and back in again. It's great, too, that you don't have to have Google Earth downloaded anymore to to this.

I sure wish we could use this tool with the smaller towns & villages, but the majority are not mapped yet.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM

You can also move the man by moving the cursor down the road (if you see a flat disc on the roadway where the cursor is) and double-clicking.

Google is getting around quite a few places with the Streetview cameras. I can retrace our recent trip through Scotland, even on little single-track roads on the Isle of Skye. And they have added a tricycle to go places where cars are not allowed, so you can now walk around the gardens at Versailles or behind Notre Dame.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, they recently mapped a lot of private pedestrian lanes -- but were refused access to a few of them.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Just for fun:

The Bay at Uig on the Isle of Skye:
http://www.littleurl.net/952e2a

The Quiraing on Skye:
http://www.littleurl.net/13768e

In the gardens behind Notre Dame:
http://www.littleurl.net/b51a05
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Soon I'll be able to peer through my own front window on Google.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
sap

Ah, Stoke, yes it's actually rather alarming and I fear you are not too far off. For the most part, I'm a huge proponent of privacy and individualism, but I shamefully ignore the little conscience sitting on my shoulder when I'm scouring info during trip planning. Little yellow man inveriably wins - pitchfork in hand. (Sorry, too many hours in front of Looney Tunes as a kid.)
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM

I do love Google but I believe it is the foundation for a future Skynet.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM

How about vpike.com? Not sure how it compares to other sites, but I do alot of "walking" down the streets of Paris when I want to reminisce or explore new neighborhoods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -