Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stratford-upon-Avon/Warwick or Canterbury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Rick

Having a limited amount of time once we leave London for vacation in two weeks, we will have to choose between Stratford-upon-Avon/Warwick and Canterbury. Which would be better for two and a half days?

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Molly

Rick, <BR>I vote for Stratford/Warwick; I think you will find more to see in that area. Canterbury Cathedral is nice, but I don't think it can beat the attractions/countryside near Stratford. Have a great trip! <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:02 PM
vosaki

Assuming that you are renting a car I would prefer Stratford and the Cotswolds. Startford is a tourist trap but it is the birthplace of the Bard, its worth a few hours, including this birthplace and Ann Hathaway's house. The real charm of the area is the Cotswolds. It's lovely countryside, and quaint towns. It's the most popular rural area of England for good reason. Warwick castle has great historical interest. However, it is a bit far north. You may be better off exploring the Cotswolds.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 08:52 PM
Karen

Definitely go with the Cotswolds and do try to include Warwick...absolutely great and not a bad drive at all...another not to miss is Ragley Hall.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 04:01 AM
Penny

I also vote for Stratford/Warwick/Cotswolds. You could take the train from London to Stratford and rent a car for a few days. Warwick is very close, as is Kenilworth Castle. Both castles are wonderful places to visit. <BR> <BR>I recently spent a day in Stratford (taking a day trip to and from Paddington Station) with my daughter, and it took a full day--a lovely walk to Anne Hathaway's cottage, a matinee, a trip to Shakespeare's birthplace and museum, and dinner at the Black Swan/Dirty Duck. Even though the city is touristy, it's still lovely, and doesn't seem as spoiled as some tourist cities. <BR> <BR>Any place in the Cotswolds is beautiful, even if you get to only one or two towns. <BR> <BR>I hope you have a great time. And do try to see a play in Stratford. It's likely to be the best Shakespeare you ever see.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 05:31 AM
steve

Warwick is only about 10-15 miles from Stratford. I went a couple of months ago and liked it quite a bit. As others have said, you have all the Cotswolds to explore if you run out of things to do in Stratford

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 05:54 AM
vosaki

If you go up to Warwick, you might want to do it on a weekend. Last year, I was there on a Saturday. On walking onto the grounds, I was transported into a medieval fair. Pennants flying, many dressed in costumes, vendors selling food. With the backdrop of the castle, it was quite an experience. I was told that they usually did somethig each weekend during the summer.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 08:54 AM
rand

It looks to be unanamous then. We stayed in Stow on the Wold and treated Stratford upon Avon, Warwick, Oxford, Kenilworth as day trips. Purposefully drove different routes each way every day to stop in different towns. Canterbury is nice, but if you have to choose only one.....This trip....