stranded in London

Search

stranded in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stranded in London

Well a short four day trip to Antibes in the South of france turned into an extended vacation.

Our Sunday evening flight was cancelled (after a six hour layover in London) and we were.put up in a Hotel with meal vouchers along with bus transfers. Wouldn't be so bad but for the fact that the voucher is good for one night only. So.every morning we took the bus to the airport with all our luggage and got another voucher for a different hotel. Luckily rooms were available right away. Yesterday we were booked on a Saturday flight but at the airport this morning we were asked if we would be interested in a flight to Boston leaving Thursday. So we are taking that and renting a car and driving to New York.

Wish us luck

PS. Typing on a kindle - what a pain. Would write more info if I had my regular keyboard
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hard luck, Sashie.

hope that you get home safe and sound and that everything's OK when you get there.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM

SashieZo, sorry for your troubles. Good news – Boston is in pretty good shape after the “Frankenstorm.”

Hope that wherever you live in the New York area has not been adversely affected. Oh, the tribulations of travel.

Safe home…
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
So, what airline is this?
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

British Airways...would be interested in hearing about other airlines
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM

Glad you are safe and finally on your way. I hope you are not going home to what I am seeing on the TV.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:07 AM

When it is your airport or your hub that is weathered in, always ask for an alternate. We got to Boston Tuesday on schedule from London, but Toronto or Montreal might have been a possibility if we had been forced to wait for multiple days.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM

I was caught up in this too. I missed my Air Canada flight to Toronto on Monday due to a delay caused by an unfortunate incident in Paris and could not get onto another flight until the next day. Even then the flights were full and I had to finally be re-routed through Montreal 36 hours later.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM

We lucked out and avoided the havoc caused by Sandy. DH and I were in the Lufthansa lounge in Barcelona Tuesday morning watching the cancellation of flight after flight to the East Coast. Our flight to Frankfurt on Tuesday (after a planned night in Mainz--astonishing cathedral) and then home to San Francisco on Wednesday went smoothly, although it was totally full. Agent said people were trying to get back to the US no matter the routing, so some people were being routed through the West Coast. Hope everyone else is smoothly en route by now.

BTW, the LH A380 is an awesome plane.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM

DH - on second thought....let's call him RT (Reluctant traveller) was complaining about being stuck in London rather than Barcelona. RT did a lot of travelling to London and doesn't care for the city. Now how much you can see from the inside of a cab? I personally love the city. London has some of the best museums in the world.

anyway....We made it home fine from Boston. The drive was long but coffee helped and it is good to be home.

What I learned - I will always try and book business. I am a miles junkie (who knew there were so many blogs on this?) and have quite a number of miles saved. I book business outbound in order to sleep (somewhat) but never on the return leg. If we had business round trip I'm sure we would have been on one of the first flights out. On a trip to Paris a while back, an announcement was made that our flight was being cancelled and everyone was being put up at a hotel. However, business and first were all put on flights - same level of service - that evening.