Stranded in Foligno?

Search

Stranded in Foligno?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stranded in Foligno?

Following up on my prior post, since car rentals will be closed in Foligno and Orvieto on Sunday -- when we need to get to Montefalco --we are going to take a train to Foligno. Will taxis be available there at Foligno train station on Sunday afternoon to get to Montefalco? or does anyone know of a car service for that area?
again thanks to all the Umbria experts
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM

Can't the Villa in Montefalco help you out on this one? Not that anybody minds, but they've probably got a set up for people arriving who don't have cars.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

We booked through Initaly and made an inquiry through them when we didn't get a response from the hotel to our e-mail -- not much help on this issue.

Having once arrived in Todi when the only available taxi was on a three hour lunch, I thought it would be helpful to get a sense of whether this will be an issue.

Will have to try to call hotel -

thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

There's this limousine service in Umbria, but I have no idea how much they might charge you:

http://www.bellaumbria.net/event/eng/destination.htm
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM

I've rented a car for a three-week trip to Umbria in July through AutoEurope. I wanted to pick the car up in Chiusi on a Saturday afternoon, but the Hertz affiliate there is closed Saturday afternoons. AutoEurope suggested that I either: 1) pay a 25-euro fee to have someone come to open the office up especially for me, or 2) train into Perugia instead, where the Hertz affiliate is open on a Saturday afternoon.

I know you're talking about Sunday, ,not Saturday, but if you're renting from AutoEurope, have you explored the option of paying for someone to come open the office just for you?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks St Cirq - will call AutoEurope and see if that is an option.
Eloise - that's just what I have been looking for - I just sent them an email

I will let you know the results of both.

again, thanks for the info!!!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:29 AM

Villa - Yellow pages lists 3 taxi services in Foligno (- the first is based at the station):

Taxi Chiamate Dirette Ai Posteggi
STAZIONE F.S.
tel: 0742 344280

Taxi Chiamate Dirette Ai Posteggi
LARGO CARDUCCI GIOSUE'
tel: 0742 340790

Castellani Carlo Taxi
VIA DEI TRINCI 38
tel: 0742 20300

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:01 AM

I recently returned a car to Foligno train station. There seemed to be a cab stand there. I can not attest to Sunday operations as we were there on a weekday.

Avis is located at the Foligno train station. We were told by Auto Europe that there was after hours drop off there. This turned out not to be true. There is a sign posted on the door that Avis no longer has after hours drop-off at that location and anything outside business hours would have to be done through the Perugia location.

We had to change our train reservations to accommodate a later drop off. I highly doubt that someone would come and open the location on a Sunday if they will not allow for drop-off outside of regular business hours.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM

We too recently dropped a car off at the Avis offic in Foligno. We came on a weeday and were taking the train from Rome, but I think I do recall seeing a taxi stand. That being said, I have no idea how often they run or what its like on a Sunday. Hopefully you will get some answers from AutoEurope.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

One more suggestion; Perugia is much larger than Foligno, and I'm assuming there would be more taxis around. You should be able to get to Perugia from Foligno pretty easily. Here is some info on the taxis:

http://www.perugiaonline.com/buspgus.html

Tracy
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - all terrific information - I did call Auto Europe. They said they would have to make special request and would let me know - doesn't sound promising from these reports. This Sunday thing does seem to be a problem. I was envisioning a morning in Rome and a quick easy trip to Umbria, and sitting by the pool with a glass of wine by late afternoon.

I will be calling hotel and taxi services suggested

If need be, we will have to drive from Rome, which we were avoiding. Many of the in-town car rental stations are also closed on Sunday. But I'll work it out, and much appreciate the info re options.