Store Closing, ATMs in Rome

May 17th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Ed

Store Closing, ATMs in Rome

A few more questions for my upcoming trip:

When I was in Italy, 2 years ago I was unable to withdraw over 250,000 or 300,000 lire per transaction from the ATMs (then about $140-180). This happened in both Rome and Venice. In other countries, I was able to withdraw up to the equivalent of $600 at one time with the same card. Has anyone else had this same problem in Italy?

Also, will all stores be closed in Rome on a Sunday in early June?

May 17th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Ed

To the top for another chance for people to answer. Wow, these threads drop quickly!

May 17th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Mary

Hi Ed,

We had no problems withdrawing up to 500,000 lire/day in Rome last month. Our bank has a 300/day (USD) limit but we were never able to get more than the 500,000 lire. As for the stores, we didn't do a lot of shopping so I can't say for certain what was open or closed.

Hope this helps,

Mary

May 18th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Ed

Mary, Thanks. I'm pretty sure all the stores will be closed on a Sunday, but I just wanted to confirm. Anyone?

May 19th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Frank

Before we left, we were able to get 1 million+ ITL ($500)delivered to our home with a few days notice by phoning our bank (Bank of America). While on our 17 day trip we charged as much as we could. We only had to use an ATM once (for 400,000 ITL). I'm not anxious to see our VISA bill though.

May 19th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Celeste

I'd say half of the stores were open on Sunday when I was in Rome earlier this month. Also had no problem with withdrawing 500,000 lire at a time, but I tried to never have anywhere near that much on me!