All packed up and ready to go!

May 10th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Maurice H

All packed up and ready to go!

I'm finally all packed up and ready for my big trip to London! I fly out May 24. I need to know all the exiting things about what to do in London. I will be there for exactly 2 weeks. So do I rent a car, or take public transportation? What is business in London like? I guess it has to be real good considering the word 'London' is always placed next to NYC, San Francisco, LA, and Paris in all those magazine ads. Speaking of which, has anyone been to London lately? How exciting is it? I got to know. I don't want to miss a thing when I get out there. I want to do it all in 2 weeks. I guess that will be hard to do. Tell me about some good restaurants, malls, etc. How much $$$ is worth bringing to London for a 2 week trip. Also what are the currency exchange rates?
I will be leaving from San Francisco, Int'l.
Have you ever experienced delays to Europe? Well I guess I ask a lot of questions, I just want to be prepared for anything when I get out there. This should be a blast. I am going with my girlfriend. Any advice on nice romantic restaurants or theatres?
I'll give you a full-fledged report upon my return!
Thanks in advance.

May 10th, 2001, 01:41 PM
nancy

Topping you in hope you get some andwers.
Have you tried a "search" on this forum yet?
Type in some key words, in that Text Search box at the top of this page, and then wait a few minutes for it to load.
A frequent poster here, named Beth, just left for london today, she goes frequently.
Do not know how long she will be gone, but maybe in a week, you could try putting another thread up, and she may be back and have some suggestions.
Have a marvelous trip!

May 10th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Lisa

Hi Maurice
I understand your excitement. 2 weeks in London is great. You should be able to get to see a lot and havet time to travel into the countryside too.
For exchange rates and ciurrency conversion go to
http://ibiza-online.com/immo/money.html.there are others but that is the one I use.

You absolutely do not need or want a car while in London as the transportation system, especially the "tube", (the Underground subway/rail system) is excellent. And the traffic is horrendous. When you book a hotel, make sure it is near a tube station, a few minutes walk.

If you want to go into the countryside for a few days,rent a car. We love the Cotswolds, and it is great to spend a few days driving around to various little villages and spending a night in different places.

An overnight trip to Bath, incorporating Stonehenge and/or Avebury is also great.

There are some great B&B's ot stay in. You can either search on the Internet or perhaps someone can recommend a good B&B guide. I don't know if Karen Brown does one on England, but there is also a website in her name.

As for how much money to bring, bring lots, London is VERY expensive. Everything costs more there.

A good travel guide to start with is the Eyewitness travel guide to London. It will give you a good overview and let you see what sights will interest you. there are some great visuals and it covers amny questions that you have.

There are so many wonderful sights. A very good start is to take a guided doubledecker bus tour. I forget the name of the company but it is available at all the major sights and you get on and it does a loop around London and you hop on and off. I think the ticket is valid for 24 hours.

A wonderful show if you can get tickets is the musical, "Mama Mia". Other people on this forum have recommended a ticket boot where you can get half price tickets for that day's performance of certain shows. I'm sure a search will bring that up. Try "London theater tickets".

Enjoy yourself.

May 15th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Terry Brians

Anyway want to go with Maurice to London?

May 15th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Linda

The name of the best (in my opinion) bus tour is Big Bus Tour. I highly recommend it, early in your stay.

May 17th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Frank M

Like the NYC Bus tours?

May 19th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Jamison

No, dude. the NYC bus tours are not like the ones in london. NYC Bus tours cost different amounts of money, plus NYC is a VERY diff. kind of city. Good luck man
Jamison

May 19th, 2001, 07:39 PM
areyouallblind

Hello troll, have a jolly old time and don't forget to tweek the Queens boobs, she just loves that!

May 19th, 2001, 08:17 PM
xxx

Oh whew! I smelled a troll too. Thanks, areyouallblind!

May 19th, 2001, 09:59 PM
aroyal

Anyone who's in the know , is well aware that I really do prefer a good boinking rather than a tweek! PLease let this fact be known to all from this day foward or I will sentence thee all to days and nights of nothing but Rex!