Stopover in the Auvergne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Monte Carlo next week and we are planning to spend a couple of nights in the Auvergne on the way. Has anyone any recommendations for a hotel in the area but not to far from an autoroute?

We would be looking at a more comfortable but not too hugely expensive hotel. We're prepared to splash out a bit!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM
rex

Going to Monte Carlo from where, to go by way of the Auvergne? Nothing wrong with going off thebeaten path, but from Paris, the Autoroute du Soleil doesn't go through the Auvergne.

Still, no reason you can't go that way, either directly from the Centre, or coming east from the Dordogne.

Either way, I cannot speak from personal experience about any specific property - - but the Logis-de-France collection of accommodations has never done me wrong. Choosing a specific location might depend on which way you are traveling - - perhaps Moulins or Vichy in the departement Allier.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Ah, well, there are a number of routes available to us as we live an hour north of Limoges, and we definitely do want to be off the beaten track. My thoughts were to choose the route to take in a good hotel/area rather than the other way around.

We've rather gone off the Logis de France after a few attempts to book met with no response.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:23 AM

AnnM, we spent two weeks in Auvergne in May. We rented a house in Montaigut-le-Blanc, a small village just west of Champeix.

If you drive through this area, do try to see the Puy de Dôme and the Puy de Sancy--they should be quite picturesque in the fall.

There are several spectacular drives in the area. Here are five that we loved:

D216, D27, and D983 south from Villejacques to le Mont-Dore. This route reveals a beautiful view of Orcival and its church. A bit farther south, look for la Roche Tuilière and la Roche Sanadoire, two striking volcanic remains with a glacier-carved valley between the two.

D978 leaving Besse-en-Chandesse provides a sudden view of Puy de la Perdix with the Super-Besse ski resort at its feet. Turn left from the highway and drive up to Lac Pavin, a crater lake of haunting beauty.

D5 from Aydat south to Murol provides tantalizing views of the Vallé de Chaudfour and the Massif du Sancy. Just before reaching Murol, there is a spot with a wonderful view of the medieval Château de Murol.

D36 from Besse-en-Chandesse to le Mont-Dore is stunning. You can stop at le Rocher de l’Aigle for a gorgeous view of the Vallée de Chaudfour. After plunging to the valley floor, the road climbs steeply up to Col de la Croix St-Robert, at 1451 metres, then drops down again to le Mont-Dore.

And our favourite, just near our village: D640 through Treizanches, then left onto D150 through Farges. Shortly after, you will be rewarded with an aerial view of St-Nectaire and its beautiful Romanesque church. It’s a heart-stopping scene.

When we arrived in Auvergne we stayed two nights in Clermont-Ferrnad at the Dav'Hôtel on rue Minimes. It was quiet, clean, and had wonderfully helpful staff, but I wouldn't decribe it as particulalry charming. Here's the url, in case you'd like to consider it: www.davhotel.fr

Our first choice was Hôtel Radio, in the Chamalières district of Clermont-Ferrand. It was, unfortunately, closed at the time we were there, but here's the link to their website: www.hotel-radio.fr

You might also consider spending a night in Le Puy-en-Velay. It is one of the most intriguing sites we have ever seen in France. We didn't stay there overnight, but I notice Michelin's Guide Rouge recommends five or six hotels there.

Anselm
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Anselm, you make it sound really wonderful. Thank you for the drives which we will definitely explore, and also for the ideas of where to stay.

I was already looking forward to the trip - I am doubly so now!