Stopover between Paris and the Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering driving from Paris to the Dordogne and would like to stay overnight somewhere about 2 hours out of Paris. Does anyone have any suggestions on an area or an hotel that would be easy to get to?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Ger
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM

How about stopping in the lovely medieval town of Beaugency? It's just a small diversion off the route through Orléans and it's chock full of charm. There's a nice hotel there called La Sologne where we stayed some years ago. I remember having breakfast in a very pleasant garden.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM

We are doing something like that on our trip in June: flying into CDG, then 1 night stopover in the Loire, then to Dordogne. The Loire is somewhat to the southwest, depending on what part, and not a straight shot to the Dordogne, but we like visiting there. Very pleasant driving the country roads then getting down to the Dord., rather than expressway.

We are staying in a small town sort of near Amboise called Blere, at Le Cheval Blanc. It is maybe 2.5 hours from Paris? Very reasonable rooms and known for its good restaurant. Country inn style and haven't stayed there before, but recommended in Karen Brown's Guide. Here's the link for that, and on this page you'll also find a link to the hotel's own website, which is sorta hard to find otherwise.
http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns...sso?RecID=9637

The place we stayed last time was also written up in KarenBrown Guide, Le Bon Laboureur, in town of Chenonceaux. You can read about at KarenBrown website, and following is their own website. Costs a little more than the other and we have 5 people this time, but we've stayed there twice. Little town there is quaint, and of course the Chenonceaux palace nearby.

http://www.amboise.com/laboureur/Default.asp

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Oooooooh, you're going to love Le Cheval Blanc! Haven't stayed there, but the restaurant is one of my all-time favorites.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM

St.Cirq, that would be great to hear, but... unfortunately we are there just 1 night before heading for Dordogne, and it's a Monday when restaurant is closed. Hope the place is nice anyway and maybe breakfast in outdoor courtyard? I'm pretty new here and sorry if I'm getting off the thread, but... St.Cirq (or anyone else), know of any other restaurant near there for a family dinner? Either there in Blere or maybe up the road in Amboise or Chenonceaux?
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Well, that's a shame, jimmsia, but I'm sure you won't want for a good meal. I don't think there's anything else in Bléré, but there's Le Choiseul in Amboise, l'Aigle d'Or in Azay-le-Rideau, and the Auberge du XIIe Siècle in Saché. I haven't eaten at the last two, but they're on my list for future visits.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 02:52 PM

We had a wonderful dinner at Le Rosaraie in Chenoceaux last summer. The food was delicious, and I think staying there would be great too. Fodor's has a review of the hotel/restaurant here.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq, jimmsla and wren: Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I will be flying from Toronto to London on the 1030 pm flight and then taking an early afternoon flight from LHR to CDG, arriving at 1530. I just couldn't face the thought of getting into a taxi, to Austerlitz or Montparnasse, and then sitting on my luggage for the entire journey!

I will be able to drive 1.5-2.5 hours from CDG and can look forward to a nice dinner in a country inn and an early start the next morning to the Dordogne

regards Ger