Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stop in Civita di Bagnoregio or Orvieto on our way out of Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be spending 3 weeks in Italy this summer. Starting in Rome and picking up our rental car on our way out of Rome to Lucca.

I have always wanted to go to Civita di Bagnoregio, and climb across the bridge to the city. I figured that this was very do-able with just a few hours. Now I am wondering since we have never been to Orvieto, if that would be a better stop? I don't know if a few hours is enough time to get a quick introduction to the city - maybe have lunch?

I could use some help with this decision from those who have been there - pros and cons of each location.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Martino:

I think you can do both. Orvieto is worth at least an over night. Civita can be done on your way to Lucca. An hour, two at the most is plenty.

MY
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Absolutely do them both. I did in October on a day trip from Paciano in Umbria. I'd been to Orvieto a couple of months before so didn't need to spend too much time there, but we spent a couple of hours in each locale, plus had a nice lunch in Civita and easily made it back to Paciano by early evening.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Both sounds great! I know a few hours will be plenty in Civita. Unfortunately, we cannot do an overnight in Orvieto as we are meeting family in Lucca. What are the must-see's in Orvieto if we only have an afternoon, and is parking difficult?

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Hi P,

I would highly recommend an overnight in Orvieto, well worth it. Maybe the family can get along without you for just 1 night?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

OK Dayle... I'll look into that. Any recommendations on where to stay? We are a family of 6, so we'll need 3 rooms - reasonable rates.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM

In Orvieto I recommend the Locanda Rosati. It's an agriturismo about a ten minute drive outside the city.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:06 AM

I also recommend Locanda Rosati. Make sure you have dinner with them also. Family style, 4 course, and all the wine/grappa, and limoncello that you can drink. Truly a memorable feast.

http://www.locandarosati.orvieto.tr.it/

In Orvieto, I would recommend taking the underground tour. You can book it at the tourist office in the main square. The English speaking tours fill up fast, so get there early in the AM.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks too all who responded for your suggestions. I've sent a request to Locanda Rosati, so we'll see.