Stonehenge Special Access Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth it to take the special access tour inside the circle at Stonehenge? There is another tour offered including Windsor Castle which is tempting but it doesn't include the special access. How far away are you to the actual circle on the regular tour? Special Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM

I did a bus tour from London in September. It included Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. It did not go inside the circle. It gave you about an hour there. I'd wanted to go to Stonehenge for as long as I can remember and I was really concerned that this wouldn't be enough time. You get within about 10 feet maybe of the closest stone. It's plenty of time, and unless you've got some really specific reason why you want to be inside the circle, you get plenty close enough.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:19 AM

I think it's really a matter of preference and how interested in Stonehenge you are. Many people have complained that some of the combo tours are just too rushed. Also remember, it's fairly easy to do Windsor on your own by train while Stonehenge is more of a hassle to get to w/o a car.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM

We took the Astral Travels Inner Circle tour and it was one of the highlights of our 3-week trip. It felt very extravagant because we're usually very economical travelers, but it was the only thing my son requested that we do. The little bus (about 15 passengers) took us to Avebury, West Kennet, other Neolithic sites, and down little local lanes (where regular buses could never venture) to check out that season's crop circles (we traveled in early August) and we even passed the pub where they're allegedly planned. The Inner Circle tour included an hour among the stones at Stonehenge as sunset approached and they even supplied dowsing rods so we could test the lay lines.

As a family we prefer real places to museums, and this outing certainly filled the bill. Walking *around* them rather than among them would have been a very different experience.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM

We did a special access tour last April and I think it's worth it. premiumtours.co.uk has a great tour. You leave London around 11:00 drive to Bath and spend time there, stop in the wonderful medieval village of Lacock and have dinner (not included) and then experience Stonehenge at sunset. We were lucky with a beautiful clear sky and wonderful sunset. Got back into London around 9:00. We were able to spend time just walking around the stones and taking pictues with a small group.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM

We took the Premium Tours day trip to Bath, Lacock and Stonehenge as well. We took the afternoon tour so we could be at Stonehenge when the sunset. Our kids, ages 13 and 10, who are not easily impressed by anything were fascinated by the experience. There is something magical about Stonehenge that can best be felt by walking among the stones. If you are going to go all the way out there anyway, definitely take the Special Access Tour. By the way, Bath bored the kids senseless.