Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stonehenge from London: how to arrange private tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in London for 11 days in late Sept 2015. We would like to arrange a car and driver to take us to Stonehenge and see it avoiding the crowds and getting as close as possible to the stones. Is this possible? How to arrange? janeos
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The only 'avoid the crowds' possibilities are Inner Access very early in the AM and after closing time at night. English Heritage used to offer these but the current Stonehenge website doesn't mention it.

There are tour companies that seemingly still arrange Inner Access - or at least still have listings on-line. But since everything about Stonehenge has changed (including that pre-booked timed tix are now required) it is possible it is no longer offered.

However, if it is, they would be pre-booked (booked FAR ahead) group tours - not individual driver-guides.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 04:20 PM

I was there in 2006. So things might have changed. We were staying in a suburb of London with a friend and we arranged a tour to Stonehenge from London. I remember traveling to Waterloo station by train and then taking a bus ride to Stonehenge. The bus took us there and we got to spend time at the site. However site had restricted access. So only pictures for far. Don't know how it is now. I am sure there are tours available which you can book online. I am traveling to Italy soon and have done a lot of tour booking through viator.com. They might have tours to Stonehenge too. Check their website. Don't miss Stonehenge....its worth it.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 04:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I was there in 2006. So things might have changed. <<

It is totally different now. The old road has been torn out and returned to its natural state/open land and a new remote visitors center built. Only access to the stones is by a long walk or by trams from the visitors center.

In general one would still travel to Salisbury by train and then local tour bus to the visitors center. But one MUST pre-book their timed tickets for the monument -- can't just show up any more.

The OP is asking about something else - a private tour.
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 12:49 AM
ESW

Try doing a google search on Visiting Stonehenge Private Access tours. This throws up several companies offering these tours. Two examples offering a personal service with a pick up in London are
http://stonehengetours.com/private-tours.html
http://www.histouries.co.uk/private-bespoke-tours.htm

As there are only a limited number of tickets available everyday, these are quickly snapped up so you need to book as soon as you can. Prices aren't cheap though.