Search

Stonehenge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 09:02 AM
Pat

Stonehenge

What's the best way to get out to Stonehenge from London? (public transport, tours etc.) What sites/places are there to see in between?

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 02:08 PM
Patrick Barnette

The best way to get to Stonehendge from London is to take a train to Salisbury (I think it leaves from Waterloo - a guide book, any train station, or the british rail/railtrack web site should be able to help you), and then take a bus from Salisbury. As for stops along the way, it is really only a day trip from London, and your best bet would be to go in the morning and tour Stonehendge, Salisbury Cathedral (very nice), and tour the center of town (pretty, and a nice place to grab lunch). That should fill your day pretty well without having to rush, and you save money by going and coming back in the same day. Besides, there really isn't muchmore to see or do, Stonehendge really isn't as impressive as you might think.

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 03:05 PM
Dick Hardy

Unless you really have to go - I don't know as I would bother. There is not much to see and you can't get close to the stones anymore. If you have a chance to go out in that direction, both Salisbury and Winchester are worth seeing, but I don't think Stonehenge is worth the time and effort.

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 03:59 PM
Mike Miller

I agree with the advice not to go unless you just have to. Buy a good picture of it in London and leave it at that. If you really want to see some stone circles, Avebury, which is about 15 miles from Stonehenge is a much better (and larger) site to see.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 01:58 AM
JAN POWELL

I AM PLANNING A TRIP TO PARIS FOR 4 NIGHTS AND TO GREAT BRITIAN FOR 21 DAYS IN JUNE AND THE VERY BEGINNING OF JULY. I WILL BE TRAVELING WITH MY HUSBAND AND MY TWO DAUGHTERS AGE 14 AND 5. I NEED ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME TO MAKE THIS A GREAT VACATION. I WAS IN PARIS IN 1990 WITH MY FAMILY BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO GREAT BRITIAN, PLEASE GIVE ME ADVISE ON WHERE TO STAY, EAT AND VISIT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
JAN

PS WE WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE HOTEL RATE TO UNDER $150.00 A NIGHT IF POSSIBLE

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 09:37 PM
Kathy

Stonehenge is really an awesome sight. You can
get fairly close to the stones by paying the admission. The best view of it, though, is
from a distance.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 09:43 PM
Cindy

I visited Stonehenge in May 1996 and found it to be a very interestig experience. We took the train to Salisbury and then reserved a seat on one of the tour buses. I don't recall the cost but I am really glad I took the tour. The guide on the bus was a student of the archeaologist at Stonehenge and she told us of some of the theories as to how and why it was believed to have been built. Having the tour guide really enhanced the experience for me. I think more so than if I just took a city bus and my tourist info. The tour also talked about the history of the area - the cathedral, Sarem, the building of Salisbury, etc. The cathedral was beautiful and the town was interesting to walk around. The above posts are correct that you can no longer get close enough to touch the rocks, and you have to pay to get into the site (fee included in the tour I took), but still a worthwhile trip.

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 10:58 PM
Irene

I agree with Cindy. I went to Stonhenge last year and was really glad I did. I also took a train from Waterloo to Salisbury, took a bus tour that included the admission to Stonhenge, and found it to be really neat. I got alot closer to the rocks than everyone was telling me I would. In Salsibury the cathedral was amazing and Old and New Sarum was quaint for tea time. I can't imagine traveling all the way to London and not going to see Stonhenge! Just do it!