Stockholm Transportation

Search

Stockholm Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockholm Transportation

We are going to arrive in Stockholm in the early evening and then boarding a ship the next day that leaves at 4 p.m. We are planing to stay at the Sheraton. My question is -
1. How far is it from the hotel to the port?
2. Is there time to see anything prior to the ship leaving? And if so, any suggestions such as can we just walk around ourselves, would we be better off with a guide, etc.

Thanks......Judy
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM

You should be able to google the address of the hotel and then get the itinerary to the address of the pier. It probably would give you the public transportation option if you are so inclined.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Question 1: Sorry, but that depends on which cruise line you are on. Some cruise lines will be relatively close in others are in the remote port a 100 Kroner cab ride from the Sheraton.

The Sheraton is within easy distance of Gamla Stan, the old town. That should certainly occupy you for all the morning and early afternoon of the day you depart. The concierge at the Sheraton is particularly helpful with dinner reservations and other arrangements. You would not be misplaced with relying on that source for sightseeing and arrangements to get to your ship.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for replies. I have found out we will be docking in Frihamnenand. After checking our itinerary, I realized we will have more time than I originally thought. We will be spending the night of the 15th at a hotel, checking onto the ship on the the 16 but sailing on the 17th (June). Not sure we will be staying at the Sheraton but thinking we will stay in the Gamia Stan area. Any suggestions? We will check with the concierge where we stay as to what to see and will also research on line but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is Frihamnenand close to Old Town?
How long will it take to get from the ship to town?

Thank you.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:47 AM

That would be Frihamnen ("the free harbour"). It's about 4 km from the Gamla Stan, so you'd need to take a taxi.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving at Stockholm airport in the evening after a very long day of flying (from California) and staying at the Sheraton. We really don't feel like a big hassle and it would be nice to have someone waiting for us to take us to the hotel. Suggestions for a good van,limo company would be appreciated. Or, is the airport easy to navigate and obtain taxi's?

Thanks, Judy
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM

Do you mean Arlanda airport?

It's a long way from the centre of the city but an express train and buses (Flygbussama) will take you direct to the Central station.

Many stations are walking distance or a short taxi or subway ride from the station. It's all well signposted. I would imagine a taxi from th airport would be very expensive.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM

Judy,

We used onelimo.com a few years ago.

Our flight from the US was delayed over three hours by thunderstorms. We were re-booked in London for a flight leaving LHR at 5:30. I called One Limo to tell them of the re-booking from my mobile. We were in the car going to LHR from LGW while I called. They were reassuring regarding meeting the new flight.

At LHR, we were delayed by a gas leak near the airport and additional thunderstorms. We arrived at Arlanda at 11:50 and were not out of customs until 12:20 a.m. (The train was still running, if that is your choice.) Our driver was waiting for us, and managed the luggage as well as our less then cheerful dispositions. We were at our hotel about 1:00 a.m. and, when we tried to provide the driver a cash tip, he refused it because we had pre-paid by credit card.

The train would have been cheaper for the 4 of us, but we anticipated being tired and unenthusiastic about getting from our terminal to the train, and from the station to our hotel. In the event, we thought it was a very good decision to book the car service.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM

<b>"We will be arriving at Stockholm airport in the evening after a very long day of flying (from California) and staying at the Sheraton. We really don't feel like a big hassle and it would be nice to have someone waiting for us to take us to the hotel. Suggestions for a good van,limo company would be appreciated. Or, is the airport easy to navigate and obtain taxi's?"</b>

Yes, the airport is extremely easy to navigate, but I wouldn't recommend a limo or even taxi from Arlanda airport to Stockholm. It is simply too far and too expensive (IMO). The Arlanda Express http://www.arlandaexpress.com is the fastest and most hassle-free way to get to the Stockholm Central Station. The entire ride takes 20 minutes and stops 1-2 blocks from the Sheraton. Anyone at the airport information desks can sell you tickets and tell you where to board in Terminals 2,3,4 or 5.

More ideas on this subject here: http://tinyurl.com/29nvbcw