Hotel in Stockholm

Search

Hotel in Stockholm

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Stockholm

We are commencing our 2 week cruise in Stockholm (July 2) and will be coming in the day before. Is there a good hotel with a good price near the port? Or just a good-priced hotel we can afford to stay in?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM

letsembellish:

I don't know what your budget parameters are, but for a comfortable hotel walking distance from the port, may I suggest The Hotel Mornington. It's a Best Western, at least it was four years ago...and we used it for nearly a week when the rates were under $200..excellent buffet breakfast included, a large in-house library, and perhaps a ten minute stroll to the waterfront...cafes nearby and one of the best foodhalls in the city a block away.

You could stay for under $200 on Friday thru Saturday, but I'm afraid that when you arrive it will be just under $300...remember, Stockholm is now an expensive city.

Stu T.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...lm/H26477.html

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I am not certain how many hotels are actually located that close to the berth where your ship will be located...and ships in Stockholmn can be docked at various places.

With luggage for a cruise I would plan to spend money on a taxi.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM

We sailed from Stockholm last July and found there were two different and widely separated areas where the cruise ships docked. Neither appeared to have attractive and reasonably priced hotels nearby.

We stayed in the central part of the city at the Sheraton. We liked the central location for several days of sightseeing on our own and, because it was still under renovation, the rate was extremely attractive. (There was some inconvenience because the lobby was not yet finished, but our room was completely refurbished and there was no noise from the continuing work.)

If you would find out from your cruise line the precise location of your ship, perhaps we can be more helpful.

If you are sailing on Regatta on that date, you will be departing from Fryhavn (spelling?) and there is no hotel that I recall near there. Expect an 80 kroner taxi fare from downtown to there. When you get to the port, have the taxi driver go to the far right and you will find your ship. (It can be seen on a 2 year old view of Stockholm on Google Earth.)

In any event, it would be an error to use the cruise line booking IMHO, because of the expense. For example, in Stockholm, the cruise line booking was 4 times higher, at another hotel, than that which we paid. And, as we shared transportation from the airport and to the ship with another couple we found the inclusion of those did not make up for the additional cost.

Similarly, our cruise line leaving from Istanbul offered the Intercontinental for $299 per person per night. The taxi from the airport to the same hotel cost us $35, and to the ship was $10. The hotel, including breakfast for 2, booked on one of the web vendors, was $144.00.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM

If you want to book your own hotel, this site often has good deals:

http://www.destination-stockholm.com
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM

There is always one more thing. The Scandic Ariadne is withing a half a kilometer of the Frihammen terminal and is available on Kayak.com at $111 a night.