Stockholm Itinerary Review

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrive to Stockholm the evening of Monday, September 11th. Departing early Sunday, September 17th. Staying at Miss Clara.

All royal palaces will be closed for my visit due to Jubilee. Had thought about a sightseeing pass but don't think it will be much money if any saved.

Will take public transport a bit and walk a lot. Are there any transport passes or cards I should buy? Or individual tickets?

Lunches mainly in museums or cafes nearby to save time. Dinners are booked.

Friday and Saturday feel a little light and would welcome any thoughts about how to be more efficient or anything that could be added. Is photography museum worth it? Do I need to book any museum tickets in advance?

Any good cocktail or rooftop bars? A good water walk or nearby beach?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Monday: Belgibaren for dinner

Tuesday:

State House and Tower - tours on hour, beginning at 10 am

National Museum and Grand Hotel (consider Grand Café or Cadier Bar)

Ostaksiatiska

Skeppsholmen Viewpoint

Modern Museum

Wedholms fisk – booked at 8:15

Wednesday:

Vasa Museum – open at 10 am

Hallwylska Museum

Nordiska Museum

Historiska Museum

Glashuset – booked at 8:15 pm

Thursday:

Sergels torg square and hotoget square and kundsstradgaren and hamngatan

Kinsgarden in AM

Prins Eugene Waldemarsudde – 11 am

Thielska

Sven Harrys – till 8 pm

Lila Ego – 9 pm – trying a little earlier

Friday:

Maybe Photography museum?

Storkykran Cathedral and great square and Maten Trotzigs

Tyska Kykan: 12-4

Medieval Museum – try to go maybe 2-5; good for lunch

Nobel Museum

Old Town

Stockholms Gastabud or tradition

Saturday:

Stromma Tour at 10:30 of archpeliago – 2.-3 hours, or Under the bridges

Parliament Tour at 1:30

Fotografiska

Giro Pizza
Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 08:49 AM

We just returned from five days in Stockholm. We enjoyed it a lot. You have most everything covered, but a few comments:

By "State House" I hope you mean Stockholm City Hall, which was a real highlight for us. We got there for the first English tour of the day at 9:30. Ticket office opens at 8:30, I believe. The weather was poor so we did not climb the tower.

We thought the Nordiska (Nordic Museum) could have been skipped, although there was an interesting exhibit on declining arctic ice. We liked the Swedish History museum better. Are you going to Skansen? If the weather is good, that's fun.

We were underwhelmed by Fotografiska which came highly recommended. It really depends on what is showing. For us, the Peter Lindberg was just ok, but the other exhibits did not interest us. Check what is on before you go, because it is a schlep. I think you list it twice.

We went to the small Medelhavsmuseet which is worthwhile if you have an interest in Greek/Roman/Egyptian artifacts.

When in Gamla Stan, be sure to see the Storykirken (the outside doesn't give a hint about the inside) and Riddarholmskyrkan.

We liked the Modern Art Museum much more than expected and wished we had the time to also visit the adjacent architecture museum. The Laurie Anderson exhibit, if it is still on, was very interesting. We also liked the National Museum more than expected.

We walked, took transit and used Uber some. For transit, we just tapped our mobile pay credit cards to ride. You can also buy tickets in the app, but I think the price was the same. We are seniors, so we registered our credit cards in advance to get the discount. Uber was plentiful, although we mostly had taxis respond. It was not much more than Uber at home, most rides were in the $9-12 range, a few a bit more. So for two people, it's not much more than transit.

We used the Stromma boat to get to Drottningholm, but it seems that is closed. Too bad. So another boat trip will probably be good, but the weather changes very quickly, so keep an eye out. We found our iphone weather app and accuweather were more accurate than the local forecasts, oddly. But check every couple hours!

You seem to have restaurants covered, but the two best meals we had (all booked in advance) were Farang and Oxenstiernan.

Have a great time--it's a really beautiful city.

Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 12:07 PM

You seem to have left out the Skansen museum which is within walking distance of the Vasa Museum. Speaking of which, do you really intend to see the Vasa Museum plus three more on the same day?