Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oslo to Stockholm & Stockholm to Copenhagen - Train, sleeper car or plane?

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (my husband, grandson & myself) will be travelling from Oslo to Stockholm in July, midweek, and then on Saturday we'll travel from Stockholm to Copenhagen. What is the best way to get between the cities?

At first we thought about taking the day train, however, we'd lose alot of the day. The plane schedule is sparse and the hours not the best, and depending on which airline, very expensive. Then I thought about the sleeper train. The problem is that there are no 1st class cabins available, which means no toilet in our room. One of us will need to use the restroom 'frequently' during the night. And another of us is a little claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any experience with these cities and how to get between them? Other than this crimp, we're all set to go, hotels, plane tickets, things to see and do, etc. We are all really looking forward to it...except for this little (I hope it's little-LOL) snag in our plans.

Thanks to you Fodorites who can help me with this!!
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Check out Norwegian airlines. I used Nordic Air (actually don't recall the actual name and I'm in a big rush- getting ready to leave on a big trip tomorrow! in '03. Booked on line, reasonable, esp. compared with price of train and time involved. The schedule changed, and they even called me at home in California to notify me!

Sounds like the night train won't work for you well. Sorry I don't have the specific name.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Last year, flying these two routes was the cheapest thing about our trip. Go to SAS and have a look - I arbitrarily plugged in 7/15 to Stockholm and 7/19 to Copenhagen and got $85 for the first and $99 for the second, both USD. Perhaps those times will work for you - I would not wait to book.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM

How about one leg on an overnight ferry?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM

we just did the train from stockholm to oslo
took 6 hours
it was totally painless and very reasonably priced
we booked online before we went but had unreserved seats
id change that cos we sweated a little when people came on ...we saw one young guy take the place of someone who was unreserved

we scored fabulous seats..make sure you ask for a table seat...this has lots of leg room
you must watch your luggage...they do have overhead storage and you can have smaller items between your legs..our seats were great because we actually could fit four people round the table but noone had to climb over anybody
there are professional bag snatchers who apparently come on at different stops and get off with peoples luggage ( if it is placed near the door) ..the locals warned us and were vigilant themselves...positioning themselves so they could watch their bags but we were fine...

the toilets were lovely and clean and they had a kiosk on board with sandwiches and other snacks
it was a lovely journey through pretty country side
we made a friend or two...and got lots of local information
it went quickly and i was pleased we didnt fly./.we saw a lot more of country sweden than we ever hoped...and it is a sweet lingering memory for us

extremely smooth journey ...
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM

Price roundtrip tickets, since they're often much cheaper, even if you're going one-way between the cities. I remember throwing away the return tickets from Stockholm to Bergen and from Copenhagen to Stockholm.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Check out the airline Norwegian (www.norwegian.no) for airline tickets. I wouldn´t worry to much about first class on the train - the train between Oslo and Stockholm is very nice. Although travel time is longer on the train, you do get downtown to downtown and no need to add travel time, queue time at airport for security etc. All in all, the time spent is quite comparable. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I've just looked at the Swedish railways' website (www.sj.se) and these trains certainly have two-berth sleeping compartments with their own shower and toilet. In my experience, sleeper trains are a great bargain in Scandinavia, one of the few things that are cheaper there than in western European countries.
Perhaps they fully booked on the nights Olijoc wants to travel?