Aug 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Stockholm Eating

Going to Stockholm in 3 weeks.
Anyone have restaurant suggestions?
2 adults, fish, salads, healthy
dont want to have to take a mortgage out to eat
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM

Maybe chowhound.com would provoke more replies.
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/714034

This might help
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll probably do the smorg @ Varanda bc so many positive comments have been written. We're not foodies. I'm trying to find outher places for lunch. If not we will just go to the supermarket and buy something and picnic.
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM

Anonymous:

You might really enjoy lunch at Sally's in Gamla Stan (the old town)...it has excellentt salad and sandwich offerings..very reasonable. Try "Sally's Tower", a mound of shrimp, avocado and greens. Also had mussels on the menu. It's on the main pedestrian sreet in old town..can't miss it.

There's a very complete stand-alone food hall on Nybrogatan, near the Mornington Hotel, "SaluHall". You won't break the budget there, either.
stu
Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM

Stockholm is pricey, but not as bad as your Norway destinations.
I ate at a reasonably priced Cypren restaurant on Valhallavagen and Surbrunnsgaten (you can see on Google) twice, but it isn't near most tourist spots.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM

What’s really difficult about inexpensive dining in all of Scandinavia is that there is very little available at the low end of the price range. I read the post of the person who replied to your question about Oslo, and I can relate to the experience of having a $50 tab (actually about $58) for a pizza and two beers in Norway…and that was five years ago. Even McDonald’s (alas, they have McDonald’s in Sweden) will set you back about double what you would have to pay in the U.S. The higher end restaurants may be a bit more of a relative bargain, because they aren’t that much more expensive in Sweden than they are everywhere else, so as you move up the dining chain, your relative sense of shock vs. U.S. prices will decline. Therefore, you could eat at the Michelin starred restaurants in Stockholm (Mathias Dahlgren, Fredsgatan 12, and Frantzen/Lindeberg…not sure if the last one has a Michelin star yet, but it will), and you will experience some of the best in nouvelle Nordic cuisine. You will pay a hefty price, you will have wonderful food, but it wouldn’t be any more than some comparable restaurants in the U.S. or continental Europe.
The middle range is much tougher to navigate, and there isn’t really much of a low end, certainly almost nothing comparable to the place in my hometown where my wife and I can get a bottle of wine and pasta for $25. The breakfast buffets at many hotels are certainly a helpful way to start the day. The Saluhall at Ostermalm, mentioned in a previous post, is a place for reasonable dining at lunchtime (I’d recommend counter service at Lisa Elmqvist), but after you’ve had a giant breakfast, a hearty lunch won’t seem so appealing. Alas, the Saluhall closes at 5:00 or 6:00 P.M. We were usually happy with an ice cream in the mid afternoon.
Lux is also a Michelin starred restaurant in an old appliance factory (Electrolux) on the island of Lilla Essingen. In the summer they offer some outdoor grilling that’s much less expensive than the fixed price menu available indoors. There’s also a nice view across the water from the outdoor dining area. On Stureplan, there’s Sturehof, where you can watch the beautiful people of Stockholm stroll by. If you can snag an outdoor table, there are some reasonably priced items on the menu here. Backficka, the “back pocket” of the much fancier Operakallern is also a good choice at a moderate price for Stockholm with some good seafood options. Last year my wife and I dined at Die Glyden Freden in Gamla Stan, which is reputedly the oldest tavern (1722) in Stockholm. The food was great, as was the setting. After our meal, our waiter showed us around the old dining rooms and showed us the room where the Nobel prize selection committee meets each year. That was splendid. I think we spent about $140 with a bottle of wine, maybe a bit more.
Also, Södermalm tends to be a bit less expensive than Gamla Stan, Kungsholmen, or Norrmalm. I don’t know if the “Dragon Tattoo” tourists are starting to make it a bit more pricey these days. There certainly were more tourists in that area last year than we’ve seen in years past. We haven’t dined much in Södermalm, but it certainly looks to be worth exploring for moderate dining.
Enjoy Stockholm…it’s a lovely city, our very favorite in the world, and you might just focus on a couple of nice meals while there, enjoy the breakfasts, walk a lot, and maybe lose a pound or two.
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Midnightsun
TY!
I will try your suggestions.
The unnerving part is compared to Norway the prices in Stockholm are quite good.
have a good day.
BTW, we are coming to see the country and the people. (foodies dont read on...) We eat to live not live to eat.
Aug 5th, 2011, 12:23 AM

It's good that you eat to live and not live to eat. Because eating out in Stockholm will cost you twice as much as you would pay in the States. When I visit Stockholm I am there because I just love the city. So, I rent an apartment, and I grocery shop. Which is good enough for me, since I don't eat fast food, and I don't want to have a sit down dinner every evening. In between daytime and evening excursions, I go back to the apartment, fix a sandwich or something light, and that works for me (us).