Still only taking carry on luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has travelled since the new restrictions with only carry on. My initial response was just to check the small carry on bag so I could pack shampoo, lotions etc.. but now I might still carry on the bag without such items. Is it worth the hassle at check in to not have to worry about lost luggage? We'll be leaving from Houston connecting in Newark then on to Milan. Has anyone done this?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM

If you don't mind paying for these basic items when you get to Milan, then why check anything? Personally, it's more an issue of lost time and not lost luggage. I looked at another travel board and it sounds like the system is overloaded with so much more checked luggage -- the whole process sounds like it's taking longer than it usually does. I don't want to risk waiting hours at the airport for my shampoo, lotion, and perfume.

If these restrictions are still in place when I travel, I plan on only checking luggage on my return.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM

If you can manage with ony a carry-on for all your clothes and shoes, etc., for a trip, I certainly would. The whole shampoo etc thing wouldn't make any difference to me, as I never took any of that stuff in carryon, anyway. Now that I think of it, I don't think I have ever typically carried on anything they don't allow, so the new rules don't make any difference to me.

The only liquids I ever take with me (in checked luggage) would be shampoo and hand lotion, but most hotels provide that, anyway. I wouldn't check a bag just for those two things, I'd rather use the hotel's products or even just buy some small sizes upon arrival (especially hand lotion).

What kind of hassle are you talking about that would be such a big deal that you'd rather not carryon anything? They might search your carryon bag, but that shouldn't take that long if you don't have banned items.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM

What about liquid makeup and lipstick and masacara and toothpaste and a number of other liquids (contact lens solution)? I suppose one could buy all this on the other end but it would sure cut into "enjoyment" time.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darnwright:
please make sure that your carry-on does not exceed the sizes allowed. I didn't see any wheeled carry-on suitcases on my Wed. - Thurs. trip from Seattle - Heathrow - Zürich with BA because they weren't allowed. Nothing larger than a laptop case was officially accepted although I did see backpacks that I thought were quite a bit larger.

Of course, size restrictions can, and most likely will, change again in the future.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Personally, I really love going into Italian pharmacies for hand and facial lotions, hair styling products, etc. They have good prices for EU brands that are much more expensive in the U.S. Try not to buy American brands like Loreal and Nivea which will cost more -- try something Italian or French, of course.

The problem might be with finding makeup which is harder to replace IMO. All of this needs verification of course but there have been other threads with good links for updates.

1. Solid tube lipstick is O.K.
2. powder compact foundation O.K. (no creme compact foundations which are too gel like, I suppose)
3. no mascara last I heard -- maybe bring an eyelash curler and replace mascara in EU.
4. There was a whole thread on here regarding contact lens solution and one guy even explained how to make your own saline with airline bottled water and a little salt. I sleep in my contacts anyway so it's not a problem and I'd buy solution when I'm at a pharmacy.

Make one pharmacy stop and they're everywhere in larger cities in Italy with big green cross signs out front. I also pick up bottled water for the room while I'm there. I don't consider shopping at an Italian pharmacy as cutting into my enjoyment but I would be cursing myself if I were stuck at the airport for hours for a bag of toiletries. Checked baggage doesn't come on time at Malpensa as it is.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:20 PM

We are hopeful to just carry on for our upcoming trip to Italy. Since we are not flying into London we should be able to carry the bags we have normally carried on (keeping our fingers crossed). Our connection is so tight in Munich (on to Milan) that we would be quite concerned about our bags if we had to check. We are leaving Milan immediately for the Lakes Region so catching up with lost luggage would be a drag. Really not too concerned about what can't go in our bag, we should not have a problem getting those items once there. But since I am quite short I really don't like the idea of having to try to buy all new clothes (since everything always must be altered) for the trip once we are there and they determine our bags are gone with the wind! 21 days and counting! Shirley
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Since the OP isn't flying through the UK, he's alright.

In fact, I was planning to check my luggage for my European trip in two weeks (also flying CO, also from Houston), but now that they allow 4oz of contact lens solution, I will revert back to just a 21" rolleraboard and a camera bag, carry-on.

The only thing I'll be missing is toothpaste, but I'll pre-paste my tooth brush to use on the plane, and then buy some once in Europe. My solid-type deodorant should be okay.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM

? you say no creme foundation. What is powder foundation?..do you mean pressed powder?..

Thanks...
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Romalover..We're flying into Milan too and taking a train to Varenna..Maybe one of us will have makeup if the bags get there.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM

loisco,

MAC, Lancome, Bobbi Brown, (and even drugstore brands) make powder foundations -- they aren't creamy in consistency but they offer much more coverage than pressed powder. Pressed powders are generally used to blot oil and minimize shine but they don't do much to provide coverage.

The problem with powder foundations is that with age, they settle into my wrinkles now. But when I was younger, I loved the MAC powder foundations which did a good job of evening out your skin tone and covering blemishes. They also have a pressed powder (for just shine) called Blot and it's great.

I have a small amount of creme foundation left in its tiny container -- smaller than 2"x2" and 1 cm thick. I may pop it into my bag just in case it gets through. If I have to toss it, no big loss since it's almost empty.

I'm certain that if these restrictions stay in place, airport shops will start selling cosmetics like mad! Trial sizes would be great in case I dont want to check on the way home.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Had anybody tried to bring a carry-on aboard, and to check a tiny-tiny bag with lotions to see if it made it?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Hmm..well I have Clinique city base but it's creamy so I will look at Mac and Lancome this week. Someone told me about Clinique Perfectly Real New Makeup???...

Thanks for all your help.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM

We are only taking carry on.
My sister and I have decided that it is not worth the risk of losing our bags, or as romalover mentioned, waiting in long lines, just for a few HABA items.

It will be fun trying to find shampoo, lotion, toothpaste....ect...
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM

The carryon restriction is 45" over all and that includes wheels and handles , even a 22" might not get thru if you've stuffed the outside pockets.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Depends on the airline. The OP is flying Continental, which has a more liberal 51" carryon limit. And CO has historically been very lax in enforcing carryon rules.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM

The OP does not say he is flyig Continental , another poster further down . rkkwan, says that HE is, so HE is not worried. I wouldn't count on any lenenicy at this time.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM

jody - Sorry for the assumption. The OP says he's flying Houston-EWR-MXP and I forgot that Alitalia also operated EWR-MXP. My mistake.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Actually we are flying Continental. We have one 21" and one 22" so I think we'll be o.k.. I forgot about the additional time needed for more checked luggage. Great point. Continental did say that you could take 4oz. of contact solution so I'll just buy the rest there. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Do go to the USAToday website which is www.usatoday.com/travel. Their article "Reinventing the carryon" will give you some good ideas of how to bring cosmetics in your carryon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -