Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stick to Italy and France or throw in Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first time solo traveling and going to Europe - very excited but nervous that I'm putting too much on my plate. I'm flying into Rome in mid August and flying out of Paris at the end - exactly 14 days of travel time. I've dreamed about going to Rome and Paris since I was a kid and I know I have enough activities planned there for 5 days, respectively. I'm a big art guy so I know I'll probably spend an entire day in The Louvre, ha.

However, what do I do for the other 4 days? I would love to visit another place and have considered Nice and/or Florence but I'm also quite intrigued by Interlaken and Gimmelwald (the Mountain Hostel is what dreams look like they're made out of), pretty much just the idea of Switzerland.

Going into Switzerland will obviously be a pit stop, but I'm just nervous that I'm rushing myself into an entirely new culture and atmosphere, especially knowing I'm someone who likes to let stuff like that marinate. I'm not running a marathon here. But if I were to go to Switzerland, I would love to be in the alps or someone semi-isolated where I can enjoy a beer and read Tropic of Cancer. Is it feasible to go to Switzerland? If so, where should I go if I'm leaving from Rome? The route to Gimmelwald and Interlaken seems quite complicated from Rome and I really don't want to fuck myself over my first time traveling. Any help or advice would be great!

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:48 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 05:13 AM

" I'm a big art guy so I know I'll probably spend an entire day in The Louvre"

It makes more sense to go back every day for 2-3 hours focusing on a limited area instead of spending a whole day there, but you'll see.

It's absolutely feasible to spend a few days in Switzerland between Paris and Rome.

" The route to Gimmelwald and Interlaken seems quite complicated from Rome"

In the reality it's not that complicated, Switzerland has the best organised public transit in the world. In case you're afraid what happens if you miss your next train because the connection time is only 3 minutes, just relax, it'll be enough. If something goes wrong, the next train will be there in 30 or 60 minutes.

That is a long trip however to do it in 1 day, you'd better break your trip somewhere for a night.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Despite visiting Switzerland for friends and family many times, the place leaves me cold (actually indifferent). There is no reason why you should not just visit Italian mountains or French mountains along the way
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean this August, you have left it way late to book accommodation in popular places. You could see if you can find something in Stresa (train to Milan, train to Stresa), but it will be crowded. I would be inclined to train to Turin, a town I enjoyed a lot, and then train Lyon, before going on to Paris.

My take on Turin: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...njoying-turin/
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 05:50 PM
kja

I thoroughly enjoyed Switzerland, and found a surprising number of outstanding works of art to be appreciated there (in lots of small museums). If you want to go, no reason you shouldn't -- you just need to do some intensive research NOW because, as thursdaysd has noted, it's late to make reservations for some of these areas.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 07:00 PM

Many years ago, before my first trip to Pais, I remember saying to a friend that I'd likely spend all day in the Louvre. She shook her head and said, there are many more interesting art museums in Paris. She was right! We spent much of a day in the d'Orsay, then walked to L’Orangerie (Monet's waterlilies!). We also loved seeing the Cluny tapestries in La Musee de Moyen Age. We spent much of our ten days in Paris "gorging on Art". We visited the Rodin Museum, which we very much enjoyed. Get yourself a good guidebook and read about the various museums.

With just two weeks - and less than that once you subtract out travel time, I'd recommend you just visit Paris and Rome. We could have spent another week in Paris and not managed all of the places we wanted to see. Personally, I find it much more satisfying to spend concentrated time in a few places rather than skimming over lots of places. I expect you will discover your travel style on this trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 04:06 AM

Switzerland is a beautiful country with gorgeous mountains and sophisticated villages. It is also known as one of the safest countries throughout Europe. No place, however, is completely safe or crime free. Staying safe while traveling should be a priority no matter where a traveler is going.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Switzerland is beautiful but I recommend that visit Florence from Rome since you have a love for art. It is a treasure trove! You can stop in Orvieto en route to Florence to visit a hill town.
Save Switzerland for another trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 09:04 AM

Yo Saldana,
Gimmewald is indeed an excellent choice---may it remain so in our lifetimes. But with your time frame, I'd leave it for next time. Both Paris & Rome have enough to keep you plenty satisfied. They'll not ever get tired for you on this trip. But your concern about shooting yourself in the foot energy-wise with too many destinations spread that far apart, is a righteous one. Remember, each travel day would be crossed out from your available itinerary as you transit from A to B.
Actually, there are some worthy daytrip out of Rome and Paris that could possibly sate your appetite. From Rome, the oh-so special Ninfa Gardens might be of interest (must sign-up for tours way ahead). From Paris, both Chartres and also Giverny, beckon as possibilities.
Bon chance!
I am done. The end.

Last edited by zebec; Aug 2nd, 2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: confronted by collies while typing
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 09:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure you can go to Switzerland. I love the Lac Leman area outside Geneva, but sounds like you are looking for something different. With 14 days and going to Rome then Paris, I think 2-3 days in Switzerland somewhere would be perfect.

What else to do in Paris besides the Louvre? Is that the question? Walk around the city... I could easily spend 4 days doing just that. Grab a street map and pick a couple places each day.