Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Staying safe-Italy on trains, cities
Notices

Staying safe-Italy on trains, cities

Jun 25th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Staying safe-Italy on trains, cities

How do you stay safe from thieves/pickpocketers in the major train stations (Milan, Florence) and in the cities? I have neck money belts. How much cash would you keep at a time and when you leave your hotel room do you take all your credit cards/important things? How about on the trains? Are there lots of thieves?
Jun 25th, 2015, 06:07 PM

This question was answered in your earlier thread. Click on your user name to bring it up.
Jun 25th, 2015, 06:08 PM

Puppy kitty,

In my 4 visits Italy, I have never had a problem. That is not to say it can't happen and it is best to be aware and take the basic precautions.

I think neck money belts are obvious under most summer wear. I prefer the kind made to go over your belt loop and hang inside your pants/skirt. Since I rarely wear a belt, I just pin it on with a large safety pin. Much more comfortable than the waist or neck type.

On days when traveling by public trans, I put the important items like cc s and passport in the money pouch. I never take a lot of cash and use ATMS as I go. On my last trip to Sicily, I did chance it and left luggage in the trunk of my car twice. I took all valuables with me In my large travel tote. Had no problems.

The best advice is to never take "help" from someone who approaches you whether it's at a train station or other. Do not get in a taxi with someone who has approached you as this willNOT be a legitimate cab. Go to the taxi stand and take the next one in line AFTER you verify the charge to your destination and any fees foe weekend, luggage, etc. it is helpful to get an estimate of the charge from your hotel I advance so you know what it should cost.

Always keep your hands on your purse, camera bag whatever and keep it on front of you in crowds and tourist sites. Never hang your purse on a chair.

These are the basics that come to mind.

Now go and have fun. You will love Italy and the Italian people.

Buon viaggio!
Jun 25th, 2015, 06:36 PM

I think you are overly fearful - perhaps based on one or two reports here.

Yes, there are pickpockets and they do tend to hang out where there are a lot of tourists in a semi-dazed state (largest train stations, popular buses, etc).

But if you avoid being dazed, are aware of what's going on around you and NEVER let go of your belongings and use you basic city smarts you should be fine.

I have never used any sort of neck pouch or money belt or anything else - just carry everything in a super lightweight purse (parachute stuff) with lots of zipper compartments that can be worn on shoulder or across chest. Have never had any problems in more than 100 trips to europe including about 15 in various parts of Italy.
Jun 25th, 2015, 09:57 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-older-mom.cfm

Search this Thread