Staying outside of town

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying outside of town

I have written repeatedly here that better value in lodging can be found the further you get from the city center.

Well, to illustrate my point: I just booked a week at a five-star resort outside of Bonn for $115 a night. It's the Dorint Sofitel Venusberg Bonn, and I got it for $115 a night (average of five weekday and three weekend rates). Check the prices in Bonn, and you will find that this is less than half of most 4-star accommodations in the city.

The downside (for those of you who want to step out your door into the tourist center) is that it's 20 minutes by city bus to the Hauptbahnhof. I say: big deal.

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche..._chambre.shtml
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Well, for some people it is a big deal. It just depends on your priorities--money or time.

For some people money is more important; for others time: Even 20 minutes for a bus ride one way (though sometimes you have to add time to get to the bus stop and wait for the bus). Of course, the money/time priorities can change for an individual from trip to trip depending on various factors.

If you want to stay even farther out and save even more money, I can get you a really cozy motel room near Burwell, Nebraska for $20 a night. Hah!

The "less than half" cost must be the standard rates for the hotels in Bonn, not the actual rates you can usually get--unless you're going at the time of a trade show or something. Normally there are plenty of 4 and 5 star rooms in Bonn city in the range of around $75 to $175 a night from websites like www.hrs.com. Though I must admit that I have not checked every 4 and 5 star property in Bonn to see exactly what percentage of them would cost more than $230 a night.

Keep in mind that accomodation "value" has many factors, not just cost or features--to some people a 5-star resort would be of no interest at all. For them one clean room is as good as another. For other people, a 5-star resort is essential and their room better have a whirlpool tub or their vacation is a flop.

Chacon a son gout.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

RE: Transit time

It takes time to get to your next touristic venue, period. I am using Bonn as a base, and the 20 minutes to get to the rail station is about what I would figure walking or busing from a downtown hotel.

My comparison prices are based on hotels.com quotes.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM

For some people where money is more important than some other things, like their experience, that would certainly work. But for others, it isn't really just an issue of money nor even the issue of travel time. It's the idea that when you are traveling, you want to experience the flavor of a city itself more, and that is staying in it and walking around where you are and experiencing the life of the city. Now you can't do that totally as a tourist anyway, of course, but you really can't do it as a commuting tourist.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM

It's cheaper and quieter too. We like staying out of the city center also and a little commute has never bothered us. I am hoping that this idea doesn't catch on.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

The reason that some people have plenty of money to travel is that they don't blow it on extravagance to appease their vanity.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Whilst this tactic might be suitable for a relatively small city like Bonn, it is far from feasible for somewhere like London. You'd be faced with hour long commutes into the city, also if you like to go out to a nightclub and stay until 3am, you try getting back "home" then if you're saving costs by not taking taxis!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM

When I travel I want to be in the middle of everything (if that is possible). I like to return to my hotel for a rest, a shower or to change. I cherish the time I have on vacation and I don't want to spend a minute more than I have to commuting.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I commute in my real life, I don't want to do it on vacation. And I don't blow my money extravagantly for vanity. I stay in inexpensive (sometimes borderline fleabag) hotels for convenience if not rental apartments.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Earth to JuneAnn: see what I said at 2:33, above. When you're out sightseeing, the odds are that you won't be within 20 minutes of ANY hotel. Once you've scoped out the immediate area of your hotel, you must get some wheels under you. And they might as well take you to a hotel that's better value than found in the typical city center.

beaupeep: I feel for you.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Well, let's see...the Majestic in the middle of Gaudi Barcelona was certainly within walking distance of multiple sites. And then so is the Intercontinental at the Top of the Spanish Steps or the Westin Grand Hotel in Berliin. The Gritti Palace in Venice is also walking distance to most of the city. I could go on and on. Location, Location, Location.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM

I agree, beaupeep - no commute for me while on vacation.

I don't commute at home. Why commute while on vacation?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM

The reason that some people have plenty of money to travel is that they don't blow it on extravagance to appease their vanity.

And then there are those of us who have plenty of money and can stay wherever we want to and also realize and accept the fact that other people's priorities are just as important as ours.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
How could anybody possibly believe there is a right and wrong answer here? Robespierre, while you've made a valid point that one can save money by staying outside of town, you seem awfully defensive. Is anybody who suggests they may choose to travel differently from you, for any reason, automatically guilty of "vanity" or "indulgence" or some other sin of biblical proportion?!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I don't disagree with anything that's been said - except that in my experience it's rare to find an accommodation that's within walking distance of very much. And there is always travel time to get to the hotel once the quarter-mile or so around it is covered.

My frugality is in no way indicative of my means.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
"My frugality is in no way indicative of my means."

That's a beautiful line. Seriously. Poetic, Dickensian, lovely.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Shucks. quot;>
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:00 PM

It really depends on priorities. For example, if I go to Paris, I want to spend my time in Paris, not in transit. On the other hand, Fiesole (a short bus ride into the hills from Florence) provided a lovely hotel, easy access to Florence, blissful quiet, and a fabulous vue.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

But if you go to Paris, you have to spend some time in transit no matter where you stay. If you stay in the VIIe, you have to ride for a quarter-hour to get to the Louvre or Notre Dame.

I stay in Antony, and I ride for a quarter-hour get to the Louvre or Notre Dame.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM

No. You. Do. NOT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -