Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Staying in S. Tuscany-day trip to Florence

Staying in S. Tuscany-day trip to Florence

May 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Staying in S. Tuscany-day trip to Florence

We want to spend a week in Southern Tuscany (we'll have our children with us aged 4 and 18 months at the time)-I've already posted many questions about where we might base ourselves-but we definately want to make a daytrip to Florence. How far south could we feasibly locate ourselves and still be able to do that?
May 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Ani
Original Poster

topping
May 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM

That is always a problem and more so with children. Many would say close to Siena so you can take the train [or bus] into Florence. I think you can stay near Montepulciano if you are willing to drive into Florence and park at the stazione. That gives you access to A-1 to cut down the drive time. Frankly, I find Florence somewhat hectic and crowded---I would never take small children.
May 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I'm with Bobthenavigator on this. If you were within an hour of Florence (somewhere in Chianti, near Siena, etc.), I might be on the fence. But more than that with two small children, and I think you should leave it for another trip.
May 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM

I also agree with Bob. We were in Italy in April and having been in Florence before I really did not want to go back again. However I had my 12 yr. old gdaughter and I thought she should see Florence. We wished we had spent the time we spent in Florence in Rome instead. She was so impressed with Rome and we definitely could have used more days there.

Previously we preferred chianti area. I still like it but as 99% of the posters here, my preference now is SO. TUSCANY! Perhaps it is that in the past we have been there in the fall, this time it was spring and my gdaughter's comment was so. Tuscany was blindingly green!

My suggestion is since you are only going to spend a day in Florence, then stay in the Val D"Orcia area and drive to Florence for the day, if your children can handle a long day. Or stay one night in Florence the others in so. Tuscany.
May 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks for your helpful comments. Neither my DH nor I are all that much into art, but I felt like Florence was a must see. After reading your comments though I'm leaning toward not. We do have our hearts set on the Val D'Orcia area-and most likely Montepulciano. My only concern is what the temps will be like there in late March early April.
Any other suggestions for day trips from Montepulciano? TIA!
May 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM

It will be a bit chilly that time of year and the old farm houses stay cold.
I would make sure you have good heat options.
May 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM

We were in the Val d'Orcia in late March & early April in '04. It snowed a little one day. The countryside is stunning that time of year.

Stu Dudley
May 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM

I highly recommend Stu Dudley's driving tour - Thanks Stu! I'll top it for you.
May 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Ani
Original Poster

thanks again. I'm now leaning toward Pienza due to the lower elevation (than Montepulciano) and hopefully less wind. Surely this will change a thousand times by the time we book. Will make sure to have heat!

Search this Thread